Re: [casi] Unfree stuff happens to free Iraqis!

Greetings,

Elga Sutter sadly concluded from someone's
response that CASI is no longer the place for
addressing concerns over injustices in Iraq.

While it may be true that "people are simply
burnt out from the efforts of many years," it
seems to me that insensitive remarks by one
should be seen, and accepted, as outbursts
to vent frustration and a sense of failure.

The manifestly emotional reasoning goes like
this:  We have tried hard.  We couldn't stop the
war.  Our actions were ineffective.  Why bother
with collecting more proof that the attackers are
wrong?  We've known this all along, for all the
good that did!

Elga feels discouraged by the assertion that,
"while such messages may be useful for those
who are just beginning to wake to the truth, for
most of us on this list, they are redundant."

Such words can only be understood as angry
reaction to a felt sense of impotence.  It should
not be mistaken for a valid assessment of the
psychology or demographics of CASI.

First, to the best of my knowledge, CASI is
not a static entity.  There is both attrition and
influx. No member can know what the level
of knowledge of other members is, nor what
the preferences for information might be.

Second, the very fact that massive worldwide
antagonism to US/UK bellicosity was unable
to thwart its progress, indicates that critical
elements of the dynamic are as yet unclear.
Gaps can only be closed with new data
from continued observation.

The task of breaking through fog blown by
a vast propaganda machine, entails building
context from the chronology of activities.

Elga's hope "that these questions, and more,
would be of interest to CASI members," is
well-founded. Her conclusion that "evidently
I was mistaken," is not.

It is self-evident that a running discourse on
modus operandi would offer hope for grasping
true motives, and by extension, vulnerabilities.

Elga asks, "has USAID implemented barring of
Iraqi firms on the grounds that Iraq is not part
of the "free world"? If so, who instructed
USAID? The State Department?"

I won't presume to speak for CASI members,
but to me such questions are vital and sharp.
I'll pursue lines like these in future posts.

Only the intent of my current post lets me
resist the temptation of taking up promising
questions like "am I correct in saying that
reconstruction work is illegal until sanctions
are lifted, going by UN resolutions?"

I firmly agree with Elga, " that asking critical
questions may prevent further injustice being
done to the Iraqis and their country."

Not only that, but it'll do wonders for lifting a
smokescreen of obfuscation that succeeded
so abominably well in mustering the domestic
support for an insane course by the US/UK.

I sincerely hope that Elga will reconsider not
asking any more questions on CASI.

Best regards,
JPH