Re: [casi] Ledeen's latest whopper

Coincidence?

I am afraid that rather not.

Everything's following the "road map" - or better said "tailor's pattern".

Thus nothing new here at all; unfortunately those plans and their
consequences are given full consideration only far too seldom .

Excerpt from below:

" .... At a Feb. 4. 2003 forum at the Willard Hotel in Washington, Michael
Ledeen, a leading chickenhawk mouthpiece and self-professed "universal
fascist," candidly stated that if the United States launches a war against
Iraq—which he fully endorses—it will, in reality, be a regional war, also
targeting Iran, Syria, Lebanon and even Saudi Arabia. If the utopian
schemers in the Bush Pentagon are not stopped, they may trigger more than a
regional war. As Lyndon LaRouche has warned, repeatedly, this could be the
trigger for World War III. And it could be a nuclear war. ..."

LaRouche's cultish group-narcism aside, especially his Executive
Intelligence Review often provides well-researched interesting insights into
the personal networkings and "philosophical" foundations of the neocons.

Best

Andreas
--------------------------
www.larouchepub.com/pr/2003/030224nukefirst.html
This article appears in the March 7, 2003 issue Executive Intelligence
Review.

U.S. PRE-EMPTIVE NUCLEAR STRIKE PLAN
It Keeps Getting Scarier and Scarier

by Jeffrey Steinberg

During the third week of February, a number of newspapers in the United
States and Great Britain published segments of a Pentagon document,
suggesting that the Bush Administration is moving ahead with plans to
develop a new generation of "mini" nuclear weapons, to be used against
"Third World despots" who collude with terrorists and possess weapons of
mass destruction—ie. Saddam Hussein.

The Jan. 10, 2003 memo from Dr. Dale Klein, outlined plans for an August
2003 conference at the Omaha, Nebraska headquarters of the U.S. Strategic
Command, where scientists and military planners will gather to make
decisions on the production and deployment of a new generation of "mini"
nuclear bombs, "bunker busters" and other nuclear devices that will become
part of the U.S. military's arsenal of offensive weapons. No longer is the
first use of nuclear weapons a taboo. No longer will the United States
refrain from the use of nuclear weapons against non-nuclear nations, unless
the madness is stopped.

Already, a number of prominent Democrats, including 2004 Presidential
pre-candidate Lyndon LaRouche, and Senators Edward Kennedy and Diane
Feinstein, are making a big stink over this insane utopian shift in policy.

LaRouche has identified the push for the use of nuclear weapons against Iraq
as a scandal that must be exploited, to stop the war drive now. Senators
Kennedy and Feinstein are reportedly circulating a draft resolution among
Senate colleagues, to also take up the issue. And senior Democratic Party
figures, in the circles of former President Bill Clinton, have confirmed
that there is intense debate and worry behind the scenes, over the Bush
Administration's war party being just insane enough to actually use such
nuclear weapons in an attack on Iraq.

The prospect of the U.S. using nuclear weapons against Iraq adds a new, even
more horrifying dimension to the threat of war in the Persian Gulf. LaRouche
has already called on President Bush to renounce this madness.

The leak of the Jan. 10, 2003 document did not come in a vacuum. For the
past year, the Bush Administration has been moving, step by step, to
overturn a fifty year policy of keeping nuclear weapons on the shelf, as
part of America's strategic deterrent. Here is a short chronology:

In January 2002, the Bush Administration issued its Nuclear Posture Review,
a Congressionally mandated report on the U.S. nuclear weapons program. For
the first time, the 2002 report openly discussed the possible use of nuclear
weapons, naming seven countries that could be targets of the American
nuclear arsenal: Russia, China, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Libya and Syria.

On Feb. 22, 2002, John Bolton, a leading Administration chickenhawk, who
runs the arms control and disarmament office at the State Department, gave
an interview to the Washington Times, in which he boasted about the Bush
Administration's intent to use nuclear weapons, under certain circumstances.
He candidly told the Times that the world had changed so dramatically on
Sept. 11, 2001, that it was no longer unthinkable to use nuclear arms
against rogue states thought to possess weapons of mass destruction.

Bolton told the Washington Times that to continue with the doctrine of no
first use of nuclear weapons reflected "an unrealistic view of the
international situation. The idea that fine theories of deterrence work
against everybody, which is implicit in the negative security assurances,
has just been disproven by September 11," he said, adding, paradoxically,
"What we are attempting to do is create a situation where nobody uses
weapons of mass destruction of any kind."

It is no coincidence that Bolton's chief deputy at the State Department is
David Wurmser, one of the authors, along with Richard Perle and Doug Feith,
of the 1996 "Clean Break" report to then-Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu, calling on Israel to abrogate the Oslo Accords, launch preemptive
war on the Palestinian Authority, and drive America into an armed attack on
Iraq.

On Sept. 14, 2002, President Bush signed a secret document, National
Security Presidential Directive 17, which stated, in part: "The United
States will continue to make clear that it reserves the right to respond
with overwhelming force—including potentially nuclear weapons—to the use of
[weapons of mass destruction] against the United States, our forces abroad,
and friends and allies."

On Dec. 11, 2002, the Bush Administration released a declassified version of
NSPD-17, under the title "National Strategy to Combat Weapons of Mass
Destruction." The reference to the use of nuclear weapons was not included
in the declassified version, but instead said that the government would
"resort to all of our options," an only slightly camouflaged version of the
same idea.

On Jan. 31, 2003, the Washington Times published a front-page story,
revealing the existence of NSPD-17, which warned, "The disclosure of the
classified text follows newspaper reports that the planning for a war with
Iraq focuses on using nuclear arms not only to defend U.S. forces, but also
to pre-empt deeply buried Iraqi facilities that could withstand conventional
explosives."

On Feb. 19, 2003, the London Guardian was the first newspaper to publish the
Jan. 10, 2003 Pentagon minutes of the planning for the Omaha session in
August. The Guardian and other major newspapers have received copies of the
Dr. Klein memorandum from Greg Mello, who heads a group called the Los
Alamos Study Group, which initially received the leak.

A Decade-Old Policy

The push for a new generation of nuclear weapons, to be used as part of
America's offensive military arsenal, has been underway for a decade. It
first surfaced in the immediate aftermath of the 1991 Persian Gulf War, just
as the current Bush Administration's supposedly "new" national security
doctrine of preventive war was first promoted by Dick Cheney, Paul
Wolfowitz, Lewis Libby, Eric Edelson and Zalmay Khalilzad back in 1991, when
they were all together at the Pentagon.

In April 1991, shortly after Operation Desert Storm, then-Secretary of
Defense Cheney commissioned a study of how the United States should respond
to the new military strategic reality of the fall of the Soviet Union,
leaving the U.S.A. as the world's unchallenged military superpower.
Wolfowitz, then Assistant Secretary of Defense for Policy, teamed up with
his deputies, Libby, Edelman and Khalilzad, and presented Cheney with a plan
for an American military empire, striking out against any nation or alliance
of nations threatening American military hegemony. The use of a new
generation of nuclear weapons was included in the proposed new arsenal.

In 1992, when Cheney and his cohorts attempted to include the idea of
preventive war, and the offensive use of mini-nukes in their draft Defense
Planning Guidance, the proposal was vetoed by President George Bush Sr., at
the urging of his top national security aides, General Brent Scowcroft and
James Baker III.

Nevertheless, in January 1993, after Bush had been defeated by Bill Clinton,
Cheney did put the same utopian ideas into his final policy pronouncement,
"Defense Strategy for the 1990s: The Regional Defense Strategy." The
document read, in part, "In the decade ahead, we must adopt the right
combination of deterrent forces, tactical and strategic ... to mitigate risk
from weapons of mass destruction and their means of deliver, whatever the
source. For now this requires retaining ready forces for a survivable
nuclear deterrent, including tactical forces. In addition, we must complete
needed force modernization and upgrades."

While the language was vague to the average reader, it was crystal clear to
the utopians among the defense planners and scientists. By October 1991, the
Strategic Air Command of the U.S. Air Force had already commissioned a study
on the future uses of mini-nuclear weapons, and two scientists from Los
Alamos National Labs had published a declassified study, calling for the
development and deployment of "mini," "micro," and "tiny" nuclear bombs.

Of course, the architects of this madness, back in 1991-93 are now back in
power again. Cheney is Vice President, his chief of staff and chief national
security advisor is Lewis Libby, Paul Wolfowitz is Deputy Secretary of
Defense, and Eric Edelman is one of Libby's chief strategists at the VP
Office. Zalmay Khalilzad is the Bush Administration's liason to the Iraqi
opposition.