[casi] Postscript to Sisyphus - and Camus

Dear List,

I had meant the Sisyphus quote as a comfort to
everyone, but after I posted it, I had my doubts.
Words like that don't have the same effect on all
people. So I am glad Judy found the Camus's words
inspiring.

His interpretation of Sisyphus is evidently based on
actual experience: As a journalist, Camus worked for
social justice and peace - and believed strongly in
moral responsibility. So he must have known the seeming
futility of this struggle and also the satisfaction
of advancing just one small step - despite falling
back again.

In Algiers where Camus grew up, he worked as a
journalist for an anticolonialist newspaper and wrote
daily reports on the mistreatment of Arabs by the
French colonial occupiers. He believed in rebellion
for justice and tried to organize Arabs through communism.
Then in France during WW II, he worked for the Combat
resistance network. (He wrote the essay "Le Mythe de
Sisyphe" in 1942.)

In 1952 Camus withdrew from Unesco because Franco's
Spain had been admitted. In 1953 he spoke up for the
insurgents in East Berlin. And in 1956 he showed
solidarity with the student rebellion in Budapest and
asked all European writers to petition the UN.
---

And a note to Felicity:

Felicity, I realize with regret that the Sisyphus
quote must have been cold comfort to you. And yet I
meant to comfort you - tell you not to give up. Roger
did all this much better.

If I didn't find the right words, it was partly because
it was a public message. And also I didn't want to
sound presumptious. But on second thought, I'll have
another go.

I don't know you of course, except for this one message,
but I know you through your writing. I read many of your
articles long before I joined CASI and much of what I
feel today about Iraq and its people is due to you.

So knowing you this way, I have sensed for some time
how desolate you must be feeling. Then when I got your
message I wanted to say something reassuring - and
couldn't.

Felicity, I know from experience that a broken heart is
not to be comforted. But I want to appeal to the writer
in you. You must know that there are can be very few
people - I know of none - who can write about Iraq the
way you do. You put all your heart in it and people who
read you can feel the humanity of the Iraqi people - the
humanity we all share. I want to thank you for what you've
made me feel.

Keep writing, keep feeling.

And in time, perhaps Camus' Sisyphus will help a little.

Best wishes,
Elga Sutter