[casi] Ramiro Lopes da Silva on sanctions

from a press conference on Saturday with Ramiro Lopes de Silva, the
current UN humanitarian coordinator for Iraq
[http://www.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf/480fa8736b88bbc3c12564f6004c8ad5/71267ed9d99d23d4c1256d1d002bd5f4?OpenDocument]

Questions and Answers....

LBC: My question is the American said they will soon start exporting oil.
Will the money come to you. And my second point for many Iraqis the United
Nations is seen now as the one that impose the sanctions regime . Do you
think that image can change

Ramiro Lopes da Silva: Let me start with the last one. That depends very
much with whom do you speak within the Iraqi population. There are 27
million Iraqis. We were not partners to the implementation of the sanction
regimes. The sanctions regime was a regime imposed by the international
community represented by the Security Council. Later in that process the
international community determined that the sanction regime was having an
extremely negative impact on the Iraqi population. That impact can be
characterized at two levels: one the fact that as the result of the
sanctions regime and the general impoverishment of the Iraqi society we
decimated what used to be a dynamic and active middle class. Second
because the sanctions regime contributed for a general degradation of the
humanitarian situation in the country. Furthermore the sanctions regime
was a tool that allowed the regime to create an increased dependency level
of the Iraqi population vis a vis the state apparatus. The UN indicated
those dangers and they are in the reports of the Secretary General to the
Security Council and they are made public. You can check that on the OIP
website. You will see that those issues where raised throughout.