Re: [casi] Thank you to F. - and a little hope from Sisyphus

In a message dated 05/04/2003 10:41:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
citext@chebucto.ns.ca writes:

> It isn't just Bush and Blair, I don't think. They
> are merely the top dogs in this the New World
> Order - ruled by neoliberalism, ie, globalization.
> All those in favour are the leaders of industrialized
> countries, and the rest can be bought. War may be
> globalization by other means? Iraq is an example:
> everything that can be privatized will be privatized.
> And this is fine for the corporate elite and their
> followers.

In my Latin American course I believe it was referred to as the "neoliberal
economic model" and my favorite (sarcasm) part was the notion that all other
concerns were subordinated to the economic bottom line within this paradigm.
Tragic to those of us who value this moment, this life.  I do believe it is
helpful to understand that these people do not perceive themselves as evil
nor do they believe that they are doing evil.  I sincerely believe that they
view their actions as necessary for the survival of civilization, a
particular way of viewing civilization to be sure.  It is one that I
wholeheartedly disagree with.  Elga, as ever you hit the nail on the head.

Pardon the balance of this email, it is to my friend with the sick computer
Felicity,
Thanks for your emails, for me they are a gift, ones which I selfishly look
forward to, always.  Once again we share something in common, the condition
of our hearts.  Although the brokeness of mine is informed from a distinct
distance, yours I realize is informed by ties with places and faces which I
will, sadly, never know.
To you my friend I want to say very loudly, don't despair!  Life is bleak far
too often, but it is exactly the people like you who keep so many of us from
despair or at least share it with us so eloquently.  For every Bush, for
every Blair, we need someone like you.  You have helped to keep me sane these
last months and year, stay strong, there are many of us who need you.  Those
who value peaceful forms of conflict compromise are growing in number at
least in part because of the information that those like you provide.

To those who made the mistake of reading on, pardon the sentiment, to
Felicity, as always, my love and admiration.  I will be in Northern Ireland
next summer, perhaps I will see you then.

Roger Stroope
Austin College
Sherman Texas, USA
www.austincollege.edu