[casi] In memory of Iraq

New Internationalist May 2003
In Memory of Iraq
For many years Felicity Arbuthnot has written and campaigned about the
impact of war and sanctions on the people of Iraq. One of the last visitors
to leave Baghdad before war began, she remembers the buildings, great and
small, now being destroyed in the country she loves.
It feels as if I have a memory of every building that falls, crushed and
broken, to the ground.
In 1998 my beloved, gentle, intellectual friend Mustafa spoke to me from
Baghdad, his voice cracking as he described the damage of the four-day US/UK
Christmas and Eid blitz on his country - damage to Munstanstarya University,
thought to be the world's oldest; the ninth-century Abbasid Palace with its
great arches, which recreate themselves in reflections, in shadows, the
inspiration of the inspired nearly a thousand years ago.
The list went on and on. Barely a month later Mustafa was dead. He died on
17 January, anniversary of the start of the first Gulf War. All who knew him
said he died of a broken heart, destroyed by his inability any longer to
protect his family and the city he loved so much. My pain could never be the
same as it is for those who are losing their loved ones, limbs, homes,
history and all that is familiar to them in Mesopotamia, 'land between two
rivers' (the great biblical Tigris and Euphrates), the 'cradle of
civilization'. It is only a second-best pain, but it surely feels like the
real thing.
The Palestine Hotel in central Baghdad has not fallen yet. It is described
as swaying, shaking and shuddering as the bombs fall. A BBC correspondent
broadcasting from there described it as 'a bit of a dump'. 'Welcome home!
Welcome home!' the staff said to me repeatedly less than a month ago,
beaming their generous welcome on the eve of disaster.
Jemilla, one of the employees, ran home in her lunch hour to pick flowers
from her garden for my room. Mohammed, gentle historian, who works there to
earn hard currency from foreign visitors, brought me another of his precious
books on the Middle East - from a dwindling collection he sells to a few
selected guests for ridiculously little. He needs the money desperately, but
his lifetime's collection must go to a loving home. The Orient Express
restaurant has a 1920s model of the train, lovingly restored by Mohammed.
Susan, who runs the small shop in the lobby, is a survivor of the Ameriyah
shelter bombing of the 1991 Gulf War, which killed at least 405 people,
leaving just 8 survivors. Beautiful, poised, generous to a fault, dispensing
sweets and sweetmeats far in excess of what one spends, she suffers terrible
physical scars under her jeans and silk shirt. And worse mental ones - she
lost her parents, brothers and sisters in the inferno when she was five
years old. She still greets, hugs and feeds visitors from the countries who
decimated her young life and incinerated her family.
A short time ago the proud hotel which is the Palestine was reduced to
sheets sewn side-to-middle, so thin that a wrong move could rip them. For
this visit of mine it boasted new sheets, fluffy towels, flowers and a large
basket of fruit in my room. A small but huge triumph, a phoenix from the
ashes of the most draconian UN embargo in history. The 'bit of a dump'
deserves a book, not an article. Next door is the Al Fanar Hotel, long a
host to peace activists. Just before I left Baghdad they had a structural
survey to assess whether it would withstand vibrations from bombings.
Probably not was the verdict. The welcome equals that of the Palestine.
Making a local phone call from the lobby, I asked how much I owed. 'Nothing,
it is on the house,' said the owner. 'Everything is on the house here,' I
replied, referring to the fact that breakfast, dinner and much else seems to
be complimentary. 'Yes, of course, unless, unless' he replied, pointing
skywards, unless the house falls down.
Five minutes drive away, along the Tigris, past evocative Ottoman buildings,
riverside restaurants which serve Iraq's most famous dish, masgouf - freshly
caught fish embalmed in herbs and slowly cooked over open wood fires - is
the Ministry of Information. Correspondents in Iraq have a love-hate
relationship with the Ministry. The world's media have their offices there.
Permits to travel are issued or refused there, 'minders' allotted and many
hours consumed by wheedling, pleading. Usually it all works out - and, after
all, one reminds oneself during moments of exasperation, it is a country
which has been on a war footing for 20 years. With or without the regime,
any nation would be paranoid.
The Ministry too has poignant memories - the elegant, educated official who
hesitantly attempted to sell me his wife's mink coat for $50, then broke
down, tears streaming down his face: 'Oh, what this embargo is doing to us.'
One 'minder' is known as Little Mohammed - there are two Mohammeds and the
other, of course, is Big Mohammed. The little one is quiet, wistful, can fix
anything - and adores children. On one visit I went in search of him and
found him more wistful than ever. No greeting, no smile, utter withdrawal.
Perhaps I had offended him in some way, I thought. In desperation I asked
the question one seldom asks now in Iraq - tragedy invariably lurks in the
answer. 'How is your family, Mohammed?' 'My wife, she is fine. And my little
daughter. But my son, he died 40 days ago.' When I last left, months before,
they had been celebrating the safe arrival of a healthy baby. Forty days is
the mourning period and he was working on that last, agonizing, poignant day
because he too needed the money so desperately for his remaining small
family.
The Ministry, like the waiting hours, is no more. Not far away, near Rashid
Street (named after Baghdad's seventh-century founder) with its ancient,
evocative, bustling, now battered, balconied buildings, is the first of the
telephone exchanges to be hit. I remembered a competition with an Italian
photographer to find the most unusual picture of Iraq's President, which
abound everywhere. I won the first round: Panama hat and Hawaiian shirt. He
bought dinner. Next day: 'Come with me, I have won.' It was a building-high
portrait of the President in full military dress using a bright-pink
telephone. I bought two dinners. Tragedy struck a couple of years later when
the telephone was repainted black. Now it has struck again, the building
obliterated, terrified families unable to check on those they love. And did
those irreplaceable architectural treasures, the buildings in Rashid Street,
survive the blast, or was it a vibration too far?
Down what has become known as 'snipers' alley' (in fact the 'highway of
death' where the slaughter of fleeing military and civilians by the US took
place after the ceasefire of 1991) is beautiful, battered Basra, formerly
the 'Venice of the Middle East'. Sinbad left for his magical journeys from
here. The Tigris and Euphrates meet at the Shatt Al Arab waterway, now
'secured' by the invaders.
On the front line during the war between Iran and Iraq, then during the Gulf
War and now for this assault, this ancient city displays tragedy everywhere.
After the 1998 bombing, empty hotels refused rooms to British or Americans
at any price. Hearts and minds are going to be hard-won here. The general
hospital, which has received numerous casualties from the ongoing,
unsanctioned bombings of the region by the US and Britain over the last 11
years, was built by General Maude in the 1920s during another British
adventure. He is buried in the war cemetery in Baghdad. 'Let them come,
there are plenty of plots next to him,' was an example of the tone of the
response to questions about the welcome the 'liberators' would receive - and
I didn't even have a minder.
Another hotel which is unlikely to be welcoming for a while is the Sheraton,
now 'damaged' as well. Overlooking the Shatt Al Arab, its rooms are pure
Arabian Nights, with their rich hangings, richer carpets and slatted wooden
balconies, where the birds inhabiting the Shatt wheel past as the sun falls
into the water and the sky turns peach. The birds swirl in great joyous
swathes at dusk and dawn over the corniche in the northern town of Mosul
too, where the prophet Jonah is believed to have been buried in the ancient
mosque named after him. Christian monasteries include the Lourdes of the
Middle East, where Saint Matthew is thought to have been buried and where
people of all denominations, believing in his healing powers, bring their
sick.
This is the region which has inspired poets: the Nineveh of John Masefield's
Cargoes. When the cargo returned with 'sandalwood, cedarwood and sweet white
wine', the wine was from Mosul grapes, watered by an irrigation system
developed 12,000 years ago. 'At one with Nineveh and Tyre,' wrote Kipling.
The great walls of Nineveh still stood, a fortnight ago, with their winged
bulls, testament to living history. Are they there now? In another
sparkling, pink and azure dawn on the day I left Baghdad, I photographed the
panoramic views of this great, vibrant city. I would, I felt certain, never
see it like this again. I never will.

For more NI Special Reports and coverage of the war visit our No War page.

Click here to send this page to a friend...
ni | home | contact us