[casi] Charlotte Aldebron

a taste of what its like in an american classroom....

Do We Really Have Free Speech?
Charlotte Aldebron, WireTap
April 25, 2003

The following is a transcript of a speech given by 13-year-old
Charlotte Aldebron in Augusta, Maine on April 19, 2003.

The invasion of Afghanistan, and now Iraq, has given me a big lesson
in freedom of speech -- or, should I say, the difference between the
idea of free speech and the reality of free speech. Yes, I can speak.
But what does it matter if I have no place to speak? Or if I am
ostracized? Or no one listens?

In early March, my social studies teacher switched the class topic to
Iraq. He said Saddam Hussein's time to disarm was up. We had to get
rid of him -- he was a brutal dictator who gassed his own people. I
raised my hand. I said that the U.S. gave Saddam Hussein chemical
weapons, and the CIA helped him find the targets to use them on. My
teacher snapped back, "Actually, Charlotte, you're wrong." Then he
turned away and refused to call on me again.

After the invasion, our class focused on combat. It was like a game:
we got a hand-out on the Persian Gulf countries, called "The
Players,"
we were given photos with short bios of top Iraqis, the team we had
beat. We got a map of the Gulf region with the size and location of
all the armies, and the weapons each possessed; we read an article
about the threat of Iraq using chemical weapons against our troops.

My mother complained to the principal and the Commissioner of
Education that we were being taught to glorify war, admire military
strategy, and objectify the killing and maiming of human beings. The
Commissioner responded that each school's curriculum was its own
business. The principal answered that he thought the social studies
lesson plan was "balanced and comprehensive." Yes, my mom was free to
speak -- in fact, she could scream her head off for all they cared.
It
wouldn't change a thing.

Meanwhile, in science, we had to answer questions like, "what are the
advantages of biological weapons?" I said there weren't any
advantages
because biological weapons kill people. How can death be an
advantage?
I was asked to give two examples of biological weapons. I said one
was
the smallpox on blankets we gave to Native Americans to kill them.
The
other was E coli bacteria that have been found in McDonald's
hamburgers. I said we could close the gap between the threat and the
capability of biological weapons by signing the U.N. Chemical Weapons
Convention, and by hiring more meat inspectors. Somehow, our
assignments never got corrected.

I should tell you that I am famous in some countries. My anti-war
speeches have been translated into French, Spanish, Norwegian,
Danish,
Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Urdu, Bengali, and who knows what else.
I have been featured in newspapers and on television and radio. A
popular singer in Bombay read my speech at his sold-out concert. I've
received over 3,000 emails.

But in my own community, I am invisible. The principal won't let me
read my speeches in school. The local papers won't print them. When a
Japanese TV crew came to do a story on me, the principal barred them
from the school. When they interviewed my classmates on the street
after school, the principal came running and angrily demanded that
they not use the footage. Of course, they were filming when he did
this and, of course, they used the footage. The Japanese know what a
bad idea war is because they have suffered the horrible consequences
of our nuclear bombs.

I get encouraging emails from around the world telling me not to
despair even if my own town and teachers and friends ignore me.  Many
say that I am very brave to speak out "in a country like the United
States!" One such email was from a Japanese man who, at age 9, saw
the
two friends he was walking with in Honshu, on July 20, 1945, buried
beneath the rubble of a building bombed by a P-51 Mustang fighter. He
and his mother were miraculously spared. And there was the email from
the Jordanian mother duct taping her windows with plastic sheeting to
protect her children from possible chemical attack. And the Greek man
whose parents were scarred for life by the Nazi occupation. And the
Canadian who cannot understand calling human beings "collateral
damage." And the man from Calcutta who hopes the warriors will come
their senses and put away their weapons. And the South Korean student
who thinks it is wrong to sit at his desk and study when there are
terrible crimes taking place. And the Iranian who cannot sanction the
harming of innocents, even if they are the people of an "enemy"
nation.

Because I am free to speak, these people have heard my voice and we
have been able to share our desire for peace. Some of them live in
countries where protesting is against the law. In the U.S., we are
more subtle, we are more sophisticated. In the U.S., we can allow
people to talk freely. We don't need to stifle speech to stifle
dissent. We just have to block our ears.

http://www.wiretapmag.org/story.html?StoryID=15741