[casi] FW: All the king's horses

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/636/sc2.htm

All the king's horses

After the fall of Saddam Hussein, who will put Iraq
back togerther again? Nermeen Al-Mufti reports from
Baghdad
----------------

Baghdad's Al-Fardos Square assumed a new symbolic
identity after the toppling of former President Saddam
Hussein's statue on 9 April.

After three weeks of occupation, the square has taken
on another role, as a platform for free speech --
almost like an Iraqi Hyde Park. Angry groups gather
here on a daily basis, in front of the Palestine Hotel
where foreign journalists and American forces are
quartered, and air their opinions on the changing
balance of power in Iraq and the region.

Near the site of Saddam's fallen statue stood Ammar
Ahmed, a PhD student of Baghdad University, in a crowd
who were chanting "No to the Americans." When I told
him that many opposition parties and figures had, in
fact, asked the Americans to stay he replied, "they
know if the Americans go, nobody will elect them."

Meanwhile, Suleyman Ali, a Palestinian student at
Baghdad University, was trying, along with dozens of
Arab students, to talk with any American officer they
could find. They were desperate for information on
whether they would be able to complete their studies
under the scholarships awarded by the Iraqi government
or Ba'ath Party.

Here, in tumultuous post-Saddam Iraq, the erstwhile
long-time leader has assumed almost legendary status
and locals speak of him with mixed emotions. Hana
Abid, a professor of economics, was nostalgic for the
iron fist of the old regime. "I had no idea that some
Iraqis hate this country so much that they could even
loot the National Museum's library, or the Fine Arts
Museum. Somebody told me that trucks full of people
from another Arab state looted the National Museum."

The question that ripples through the crowds and
security forces here is whether or not Saddam Hussein
was betrayed. "We were ready to fight in and around
Saddam Airport," says Captain Najm Ghazi of the elite
Republican Guard. "But all of a sudden we were ordered
to withdraw. We were told that the orders were from
the president. The next day we discovered that Baghdad
and Saddam had been betrayed. Why, when and who?
Nobody knows."

He added that all members of the two highest echelons
in the Republican Guard were from Tikrit, Hussein's
home town, or from among Hussein's son Qusay's closest
associates. "We always used to say that Saddam was
good at creating mercenaries. He paid a lot to those
journalists who wrote lies, and to officers who were
no good at conducting wars." According to Ghazi it was
those same mercenaries who betrayed the country
saying, "those were the ones who took a fortune from
the Americans to betray him."

"It's so sad," he added. "Thousands of people were
killed by American bombs. If they were going to betray
him, why didn't they do it from the first day? I'll
never forget what happened here."

On the much-discussed issue of Hussein's whereabouts,
57-year-old teacher Sameera Al-Jabouri, seems certain.
"He will be back -- surely in the coming weeks," she
said. "We are sure that our president will return. He
may have been a dictator; he may have been unjust, but
at least he was Iraqi -- not an agent of America."

"If not Saddam," adds her 30-year- old daughter, Noor,
"then somebody must come to save Iraq from this
occupation and the 'opposition', who are all agents
themselves."

Saddam Hussein once said "32 states waged a war
against us, but still we did not evaporate." According
to a high- ranking official in the office of the
president, who wished to remain anonymous, "many top
officials decided to try to oust Saddam Hussein in an
effort to protect Iraq from occupation," He added that
"the ministers for defence and military
industrialisation, Sultan Hashim Ahmed and Abdul Tawab
Mulla Huwaish, spoke to the President and his son
Qusay and tried to persuade them to leave Iraq for
Iraq's sake. Hussein and his son reportedly become
livid with anger, and the fate of those two ministers
and forty high- ranking army officers still remains
unknown. The details of this meeting spread like
wildfire through the office of the president, and
people started making arrangements for their safe
exits, leaving the country to its fate."

The places I encountered in Abu Ghareeb in the western
section of Baghdad and the suburb near the Al-
Kadhimiya district bore witness to real battles
between Iraqi and American forces on 5 and 6 April. An
American tank and two other vehicles were standing
beside the Arabic Petroleum Institute, all three
vehicles destroyed. Determined to find an answer to
the riddle of the fall of Baghdad, the deserting Iraqi
forces and the delivery of the city to the coalition
forces on a silver platter, I asked some people their
opinion. Ibrahim Hazim, a young captain in the
armoured division of the Republican Guards, simply
said, "I still don't know what went on in the minds of
the commanders. They pulled a whole division out of
Kirkuk in broad daylight without providing any air
cover, which meant the reinforcements never reached
Baghdad."

"American bombardment of military targets was
extremely heavy," commented Ahmed Hasan, first
lieutenant engineer, adding that "entering a war
without air cover is a big mistake." But what about
the hundreds of Iraqi officers who swore allegiance to
Saddam Hussein, vowing to protect Iraq and burn the
Americans? Zaid El- Hamdany, an officer, maintains "it
was all a publicity stunt for radio and TV to boost
the moral of the Iraqis."

But will the Iraqis keep asking what happened? The
road to Baghdad is littered with burnt-out Iraqi
tanks, arms and rocket launchers as well as countless
shreds of military uniforms; in the military hospitals
that had been looted and burnt, I saw hundreds of
cheap wooden coffins and Iraqi flags. Ali Hassan, a
sergeant in the Rasheed Military hospital said "if the
deposed regime was sure that hundreds of thousands
were going to be killed, then why did Saddam Hussein
launch a suicide war?"

While waiting for the answers, the Iraqis try to
reconstruct the remnants of their shattered lives; a
task which is far from easy. Nights in the cities
remain unsafe; electricity supplies have been restored
to some areas, but telecommunication facilities remain
cut. Former General Garner has asked Iraqis to resume
their work and studies. The answer was a bitter smile.
Where are people supposed to go to after all
ministries, offices, schools and universities have
been looted and burnt; and where are the salaries? The
Americans promised $20 to every Iraqi worker, the
going rate for $100 being 150 000 ID. Two weeks ago
$100 this was 270 000 ID.

As for the future, nobody knows when the interim
government will be established, and for the time being
nobody cares about that 60% of the population whose
lives depend on their salaries and the Oil for Food
Programme. And in the words of an Iraqi, "The
Americans say they are going to fix everything, but
can they fix our broken hearts?"

© Copyright Al-Ahram Weekly. All rights reserved