[casi] FW: Fisk / Did the US Murder Journalists?

http://www.counterpunch.org/

April 29, 2003

Closing Down the Press
Did the US Murder Journalists?
By ROBERT FISK

What is a journalist's life worth? I ask this question
for a number of reasons, some of them--frankly--quite
revolting. Two days ago, I went to visit one of my
colleagues wounded in the Anglo-American invasion of
Iraq. Samia Nakhoul is a Reuters correspondent, a
young woman reporter who is married to another
colleague, the Financial Times correspondent in
Beirut. Part of an American tank shell was embedded in
her brain--a millimetre difference in entry point and
she would have been half paralysed--after an M1A1
Abrams tank fired a round at the Reuters office in
Baghdad, in the Palestine Hotel, last week.

Samia, a brave and honourable lady who has reported
the cruelty of the Lebanese civil war at first hand
for many years, was almost destroyed as a human being
by that tank crew.

At the time, General Buford Blount of the 3rd Infantry
Division, told a lie: he said that sniper fire had
been directed at the tank--on the Joumhouriyah Bridge
over the Tigris river--and that the fire had ended
"after the tank had fired" at the Palestine Hotel. I
was between the tank and the hotel when the shell was
fired. There was no sniper fire--nor any
rocket-propelled grenade fire, as the American officer
claimed--at the time. French television footage of the
tank, running for minutes before the attack, shows the
same thing. The soundtrack--until the blinding,
repulsive golden flash from the tank barrel--is
silent.

Samia Nakhoul wasn't the only one to be hit. Her
Ukrainian cameraman, father of a small child, was
killed. So was a Spanish cameraman on the floor above.
And then yesterday I had to read, in the New York
Times, that Colin Powell had justified the
murder--yes, murder--of these two journalists. This
former four-star general--I'm talking about Mr Powell,
not the liar who runs the 3rd Infantry
Division--actually said, and I quote: "According to a
US military review of the incident, our forces
responded to hostile fire appearing to come from a
location later identified as the Palestine Hotel...
Our review of the April 8th incident indicates that
the use of force was justified."

But it gets worse. A few hours before I visited Samia,
I was in Beirut with Mohamed Jassem al-Ali, the
managing director of the Qatar-based Arab al-Jazeera
channel. On that same day--8 April--that the American
tank fired at the Reuters office in Baghdad, an
American aircraft fired a missile at the al-Jazeera
office in Baghdad. Mr al-Ali has given me a copy of
his letter to Victoria Clarke, the US Assistant
Secretary of State of Defence for Public Affairs in
Washington, sent on 24 February this year. In the
letter, he gives the address and the map coordinates
of the station's office in Baghdad--Lat: 33.19/29.08,
Lon 44.24/03.63--adding that civilian journalists
would be working in the building.

The Americans were outraged at al-Jazeera's coverage
of the civilian victims of US bombing raids. And on 8
April, less than three hours before the Reuters office
was attacked, an American aircraft fired a single
missile at the al-Jazeera office--at those precise map
coordinates Mr al-Ali had sent to Ms Clarke--and
killed the station's reporter Tareq Ayoub. "We find
these events," Mr al-Ali wrote in his slightly
inaccurate English, "unjustifiable, unacceptable,
arousing all forms of anger and rejection and most of
all need an explanation."

And what did he get? Victoria Clarke wrote a letter
that was as inappropriate as it was "economical with
the truth". She offered her "condolences" to the
family and colleagues of Mr Ayoub and then went on to
write a preachy note to al-Jazeera. "Being close to
the action means being close to danger," she wrote.
"...we have gone to extraordinary [sic] lengths in
Iraq to avoid civilian casualties. Unfortunately, even
our best efforts will not prevent some innocents from
getting caught in the crossfire [sic]... Sometimes
this results in tragedy. War by its very nature is
tragic and sad..."

Pardon me? Al-Jazeera asks why its office was targeted
and Ms Clarke tells the dead man's employer that war
is "sad"? I don't believe this. General Blount lied
about his tank crew on the Tigris river. "General"
Powell went along with this lie. And now Ms
Clarke--who clearly was told to write what she wrote
since her letter is so trite--does not even attempt to
explain why an American jet killed Al Jazeera's
reporter (just like an American missile was fired at
Al Jazeera's office in Kabul in 2001).

A Ukrainian, a Spaniard, an Arab. They all died within
hours of each other. I suspect they were killed
because the US--someone in the Pentagon though not,
I'm sure, Ms Clarke--decided to try to "close down"
the press. Of course, American journalists are not
investigating this. They should--because they will be
next.

As for Mohamed al-Ali, he has the painful experience
of knowing that he gave the Pentagon the map
coordinates to kill his own reporter. Who was the
pilot of the American jet that fired that missile at
al-Jazeera? Why did he fire? What were the
coordinates? Who was the American tank officer who
blasted a piece of metal into Samia's brain? A day
after he fired, I climbed on his tank and asked the
soldier on top if he was responsible. "I don't know
anything about that, sir," he replied. And I believe
him. Like I believe in Father Christmas and fairies at
the bottom of my garden.