[casi] Humanitarian aid to Iraq -

http://special.diplomatie.fr/article_gb322.html

I posted to my lists the concern some had as to where
they might contribute to humanitarian aid to Iraq,
where Iraqis themselves would manage it.  The above
site, and the suggestion to go through France, was
sent to me by activist Mike Price.

Perhaps it will be of use.  Here is the only thing I
know of such things.

A few years ago, when the Albanian refugees were
fleeing Kosovo to Macedonia, I was involved in a
project getting supplies, mostly blankets, to the
Albanians, who were sleeping on the mud when we began.
 We had no political interest in this matter, just
humanitarian, and on that basis we formed an internet
group and found a church in Georgia we could go
through for those who wanted the tax exemptions.  We
then collected cash and supplies and had two of our
own people take them over.

Our couriers spent a couple of weeks in Skopje,
helping the Albanians directly, fortunately being able
to sleep at the offices of the only Albanian tv
station.  The information they returned with left me
very wary of aid agencies.  I won't call any by name,
as the fault did not appear to be at the source, but
one of the best known (and deservedly reputable)
Christian agencies from the U.S. was unable to get its
donated dollars to the people who needed them.  They
were, instead, just siphoned off bureacratically here
and there.

Our two volunteers drove the trucks to buy the food
and kept the blankets we sent and with their own hands
distributed every last thing directly to the refugees.
 Our volunteers were unpaid.

This experience led me to a greater caution than ever
about donating to agencies.  The one in question was
not, I am sure, ever aware that their contributions,
many probably made by people on small fixed incomes,
simply didn't reach the people for whom they were
intended.

In the past, I've taken material to Nicaragua (during
the embargo when the Sandinistas were in power and the
country was so much better off than now), and I was
comfortable turning over the medicines (11 huge boxes
of medical samples) to the director of the Nica Red
Cross.  But that is described by the fact that the
doctor/director and his two sons drove over to get and
load my medicines themselves.  Everything was
personal.  Other, smaller things, I distributed
through the Jesuits, and I myself helped distribute
them.

My point is, I guess, that it never hurts to stay
close to the soil.

Lisa