From: "Colin Rowat" <c.rowat@espero.org.uk>
To: <casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk>
Subject: RE: [casi] Hungary will say no - hopefully
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 18:48:03 +0100

Thank you Attila for the update.  I think that these
decisions may be difficult to make, as they require
balancing two factors that may be in opposition to each
other:

1. a desire not to co-operate with an illegal and globally
unpopular war.

2. a desire not to abandon Iraq, now that that war has
taken place.

On this latter point, I found Alan Kuperman's 16 April
article in USA Today worrying.  He notes that:

"during instability in places such as Northern Ireland,
Malaysia, Bosnia and Kosovo, intervention forces have
required approximately 20 troops per thousand residents to
maintain order. Postwar Iraq will likely fall in the latter
category. ... Given Iraq's population of about 24 million,
that could mean 480,000 peacekeepers..."

While I certainly do not want to see a US occupation of
Iraq, I also do not want to see Iraq rend itself as
Yugoslavia did.

Best,

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University
of Birmingham | Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK |
web.bham.ac.uk/c.rowat | (+44/0) 121 414 3754 | (+44/0) 121
414 7377 (fax) | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | (+44/0) 7768 056 984 (mobile) | (+44/0) 7092 378
517 (fax) | (707) 221 3672 (US fax) | c.rowat@espero.org.uk

> Dear Friends,
> > Hungarian parliament is scheduled to vote on Monday
about the US > request for Hungary to send peacekeeping
troops to Iraq. > Authorizing the government to grant the
request requires a two > thirds majority. The coalition
propose to say yes. >
> I spoke to my MP on Friday afternoon, and he said that
they (the > two opposition parties) had made up their minds
to vote against > the proposal.
> > In the meantime, however, state radio and TV keep
repeating that > the opposition will only reveal their
decision on Monday. >
> Keep your fingers crossed for my small country to dare be
defiant. >
> Cheers > Attila Boros
> Hungary

Dr Kamil Mahdi
Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies
University of Exeter
Exeter EX4 4ND
Tel: (44 1392) 264029
Fax: (44 1392) 264035

Secretary of IAIS tel.: -44-(0)1392-264036
Visit the IAIS website at
      http://www.ex.ac.uk/iais