Re: [casi] Sudanese guards

Dear Boros and List,

Fair question, Boros. All I know is that Sudanese
civilians had gone to Iraq to fight with the Iraqis,
along with Egyptians, Algerians, Moroccans, Syrians,
Jordanians, Palestinians... and exile Iraqis. I don't
know how many there were though.

("British soldiers take Basra; Sudanese, Egyptians
arrested", said a headline in a Lagos paper, April 7)

On April 10, some of these men were still in Baghdad,
reported Fisk - he spoke to them.

So who appointed these _two Sudanese_ to the guard job?
My guess is they did themselves. Things didn't exactly
run according to protocol... And as we learned later,
Baghdadi civilians too organized themselves to guard
hospitals, etc. against looters - around the clock.

You might also wonder _how_ they knew that these guards
were Sudanese. Again, my guess is that local people
had asked them - they could not possibly have been
mistaken for Iraqis.

Besides, in many countries people take a warm interest
in foreigners, even in normal times. When I go to Mexico,
for example, people always enquire about my antecedents,
draw me in. I never feel 'foreign' there.

So I have no problems fitting these Sudanese into the
story. And I hope this helps a little.

I could enquire further but don't have the time, sorry.
You see, I wasn't trying to convince you of the validity
of the story. You must make up your own mind.

And I wasn't actually offering an "alternative
translation". Well, a few words are different but
they don't change meaning. I was merely trying to put
this much-out-of-context quote in context. I thought it
might mislead people.

Regards,
Elga Sutter