Re: [casi] shooting of guards outside building in Baghdad

> Has the story told by Khaled Bayomi about
> the shooting of guards outside "local administration
> building" been confirmed by other sources?

This was an eyewitness account: Khaled Bayomi,
a historian of Iraqi origin living in Sweden, was
in Iraq as a human shield from March 20 to April 9.
He was accompanied by other Swedish citizens, one
whom is of Tunisian origin and would also speak
Arabic. Any other confirmation would have to come
from Baghdad citizens - there was a big crowd present.

And since Bayomi lives in Sweden, he was interviewed
by Swedish TV and radio stations and newspapers.
The story in the Dagens Nyheter was translated into
some 12 languages. There appear to be also different
versions in English.

> "USA ENCOURAGED RANSACKING"
> by Ole Rothenborg
> Dagens Nyheter (Sweden), 11th April

> "It was the 8th of April ...In the afternoon it became
> perfectly quiet and four American tanks took places on
> the edge of the slum area. The soldiers shot two
> Sudanese guards who stood at their posts outside a local
> administration building on the other side of Haifa
> Avenue. Then they blasted apart the doors to the
> building and from the tanks came eager calls in Arabic
> encouraging people to come close to them."

This is a very puzzling piece. It seems to have been
stuck together from different paragraphs - completely
out of sequence. The last past part in the final
sentence should come at the beginning, before the
guards were shot.

I am going to post the relevant paragraphs.
Perhaps it will make things clearer for someone
who hasn't read the full story. (This is someone's
personal translation.):

<START QUOTE>
"US FORCES ENCOURAGE LOOTING"
By Ole Rothenborg

[...]

- I had visited a few friends that live in a worn-down
area just beyond the Haifa Avenue, on the west bank of
the Tigris River. It was April 8 and the fighting was so
heavy I couldn't make it over to the other side of the
river. On the afternoon it became perfectly quiet, and
four American tanks pulled up in position on the
outskirts of the slum area. From these tanks we heard
anxious calls in Arabic, which told the population to
come closer.

- During the morning everybody that tried to cross the
streets had been fired upon. But during this strange
silence people eventually became curious. After
three-quarters of an hour the first Baghdad citizens
dared to come forward. At that moment the US soldiers
shot two Sudanese guards, who were posted in front of a
local administrative building, on the other side of the
Haifa Avenue.

- I was just 300 meters away when the guards where
murdered. Then they shot the building entrance to
pieces, and their Arabic translators in the tanks told
people to run for grabs inside the building. Rumours
spread rapidly and the house was cleaned out. Moments
later tanks broke down the doors to the Justice
Department, residing in the neighbouring building, and
looting was carried on to there.

- I was standing in a big crowd of civilians that saw
all this together with me. They did not take any part in
the looting, but were to afraid to take any action
against it. Many of them had tears of shame in their
eyes. The next morning looting spread to the Museum of
Modern Art, which lies another 500 meters to the north.
There was also two crowds in place, one that was looting
and another one that disgracefully saw it happen.
<END QUOTE>

In fact, Mr. Bayomi witnessed another shooting, not
published in the newspapers:

While the US tanks were in position (by the museum),
a car passed by with four persons inside - in civilian
clothes, as far as could be seen. When the driver
saw the US tanks he stopped and tried to turn around.
But the car was immediately fired upon and went up
in flames - killing all four people.

Elga Sutter

Has the story told by Khaled Bayomi about the shooting of guards outside
"l=
ocal administration building" been confirmed by other sources? This would
c=
learly qualify as a heinous crime but I haven't come across any
confirmatio=
n yet.

Attila Boros
Hungary

=
four American tanks
took places on the edge of the slum area. The soldiers shot two Sudanese
guards who stood at their posts outside a local administration building on
the other side of Haifa Avenue. Then they blasted apart the doors to the
building and from the tanks came eager calls in Arabic encouraging people
t=
come close to them. "