[casi] Re: [PA-WF] UN POW camps in Iraq

 Sorry for the lack of clarity. I should not have used the vague term "group"
when referring to the UNSC. I intended to say: There are no limits to which
the UN Security Council will not go to debase themselves and their ideals.

My reference to rebukes received was to several responses to "They Still
Don't Get It: a critique of the US antiwar movement," that has been
circulated around other lists.
(http://www.campaigntoendthesanctions.org/Don%27t.html) I have found that
many people do not share Campaign to End the Sanctions opposition to the
United Nations Security Council in Iraq. The demand for the return of the
United Nations to Iraq is quite popular in US antiwar circles. We disagree.

The UN running POW camps is a case in point. Iraq's oil revenues used by the
United Nations Office of the Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq (UNOHCI), the
UN "oil-for-food" scheme, are intended to feed Iraqis, not to imprison them
for the US occupation forces. The UN Security Council running POW camps (even
for a few weeks) is direct support and collaboration with the US invasion. It
is a double-edged violation in that it contributes to the US aggression
against Iraq, AND it uses Iraq's money to do it! The use of Iraq's oil
revenues to pay for imprisoning Iraqi soldiers is graphic example of how the
UNSC participates along with the US in trampling Iraq's sovereignty.

In the weeks ahead I think the UNSC accommodation to the US occupation will
deepen. Under "humanitarian" pretenses and to "help the suffering people of
Iraq" of course.

In Solidarity

Bob Allen
Campaign to End the Sanctions