Re: [casi] Questions about US-confiscated Iraqi assets

IRAQ AFTER SADDAM: Confusion over who controls Iraq oil ministry
By Charles Clover in Baghdad
Financial Times; Apr 21, 2003
http://tinyurl.com/9z9m

Ringed by US tanks and guarded by US soldiers with a very exclusive
admission list, Iraq's oil ministry, in charge of the world's second largest
petroleum reserves, yesterday appeared secluded from the disorder that
reigns in the rest of Baghdad.

One question nevertheless provoked a great deal of confusion: who is in
charge?

The former minister is barred from entering, as are his deputies. A man in a
green suit, standing outside the barbed wire, introduced himself as Fellah
al-Khawaja and said he represented the Co-ordinating Committee for the Oil
Ministry, which few of the employees had heard of.

It draws its authority from a self-declared local government led by Mohamed
Mohsen al-Zubaidi, a recently returned exile who says he is now the
effective mayor of Baghdad.

According to Faris Nouri, a ministry section chief, the committee has issued
a list of who should be allowed into the ministry by US troops guarding the
building. Yesterday it was announced that Mr Zubaidi's deputy, former
general Jawdat al-Obeidi, would lead Iraq's delegation to the next meeting
of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

But when asked who was giving the orders at the ministry, most employees
pointed to a portly man standing in the lobby, who looked to be in his 50s
but declined to give his name.

"I was a DG [director-general] in the old administration, and no one has
told me I'm not a DG anymore," he said.

Employees have been reappearing since Thursday at the ministry, which
largely escaped the destruction suffered by most other public buildings in
Baghdad, and is one of the few to be guarded by US soldiers.

The director-general said he was confused by the lack of any formal notices,
and had a only a vague idea of the committee, backed by the Iraqi National
Congress, the formerly exiled opposition group.

"I don't honestly know who they are, who chose them, how they are being
motivated," he said. "I know I am in contact with no one and no one is in
contact with me."

However, he lamented the whole US approach to dealing with postwar Iraq. "We
have a lot of experience with coup d'états and this one is the worst," he
said. "Any colonel in the Iraqi army will tell you that when he does a coup
d'état, he goes to the broadcasting station with five announcements."

"The first one is long live this, down with that. The second one is your new
government is this and that. The third is the list of the people to go on
retirement. The fourth one, every other official is to report back to work
tomorrow morning. The fifth is the curfew."

This is usually done within one hour, he added. "Now we are waiting more
than a week and still we hear nothing from them."

Financial Times, April 20
http://tinyurl.com/9zam
Iraq may look to S Africa on road back to recovery

"The conflict in Iraq is barely over, and meetings have begun in the US to
set up a South Africa-style Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) to
reshape the country's institutions and help Iraqis recover from the
brutality of Saddam Hussein's 35-year rule. . .."