Re: [casi] post-war lifting of sanctions

Dear list

It is obviously difficult for a group calling itself the 'Campaign Against
Sanctions on Iraq' to resist a call to lift the sanctions on Iraq. But the
circumstances are changed. Whereas in the past, 'sanctions' was a bad term
to designate a policy of blockade; so it is now a bad term to designate
United Nations control over Iraq's income from oil

At present Iraq is under foreign occupation and there is no legal
government, nor is there likely to be in the foreseeable future a government
that can be reasonably seen as an emanation of Iraqi society. Under these
circumstances it is surely wholly appropriate that the oil money should
remain with the United Nations, 'in trust', as Colin Powell might say, 'for
the Iraqi people'. Ideally there would be a new resoution perpetuating the
UN escrow account until such time as an internationally recognised Iraqi
government was in place, but since that is likely to be vetoed by the
invading powers, the Security Council should stick to the existing
legislation under which sanctions cannot be lifted until the weapons
inspectors have declared Iraq free of weapons of mass destruction (missiles
with a range of over 150 km for example. I don't know if the occupying
forces have brought any of those in, with the intention of threatening their
neighbours).

Sanctions on the import/export of items outside the oil sector should of
course be removed immediately, notably on dates. Though if I'm not mistaken
the main date producing areas round Basra may be hopelessly contaminated
with depleted uranium dating back to 1991. If that is the case, date
production has, tragically, to be stopped and generous compensation given by
the responsible powers.

But at the present time 'ending sanctions' means first and foremost
delivering Iraq's oil income into the hands of the occupying power, after an
invasion carried out in flagrant violation of the UN Charter. It would be
yet another abject defeat for the multinational order supposedly represented
by the United Nations at the hands of the unipolar order represented by the
United States.

All the best

Peter