Re: [casi] Dubya finally gets it ...

>we need to be denouncing anyone who stands in the way of >lifting
sanctions.

This is not so clear to me. The problem with the sanctions in the past
was that it deprived the Iraqi people, by limiting what they could buy
and sell.

Now there is an occupying force who is responsible for the welfare fo the
people, and who -- I think -- can bring any needed goods into the nation.

As far as buying and selling we might ask who is going to buy and sell?
If the oil is sold will that let the US off the hook? Will the profit go
to the people? What about other goods for sale? Are the Iraqis in any
shape to produce and sell anything now? Will the people have control of
the transactions or will it only give the US more power?

If the Iraqis want things which could be bought if sanctions are lifted,
do they have money to pay for them? The currency is being transferred
over to dollars, which again gives the US control.

The question in my mind is who are sanctions now imposed on in practical
terms -- Iraqis or the US occupiers? How can the people of Iraq benefit
from lifting sanctions now if they don't even have a government? It
strikes that lifting them now would be something like giving free reign
to the auctioneer after a family is declared bankrupt and everthing they
own goes on the block, all for the benefit of the creditors and
auctioneer.

Yes? No? It seems a complex question which needs consideration more than
an immediate answer.