[casi] new activists' search engine from "Resist"

I haven't checked this, but it looks interesting.
-Bob Steel

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: (en) Announcing A Google-like Search Engine for Activists!
From: resist admin <resist@resist.ca>
Date: Tue, April 8, 2003 5:27 am
To: a-infos-en@ainfos.ca

      A - I N F O S  N E W S  S E R V I C E
            http://www.ainfos.ca/
        http://ainfos.ca/index24.html

The Resist! Collective would like to announce a new search tool for
activists at http://search.resist.ca - Search most of the major activist
web sites, plus many other progressive resources, all from one place!

This unique project provides a fast and comprehensive research tool
focused on activism and radical politics. Finally, there is a search
engine that allows you to find alternative news, analysis, contacts,
events, and other information --- all in the context of the "activist
web".

Search.resist.ca indexes over a quarter of a million web pages across
more than two hundred and fifty sites around the world, and it continues
to grow rapidly. Some major sites already indexed include ainfos.ca,
indymedia.org, infoshop.org, protest.net, tao.ca and zmag.org. Your
favourite sites may already be indexed, and if there's an activist site
you think belongs in the index, you can let us know at
http://search.resist.ca/addurl. A list of the currently indexed sites can
be found at  http://search.resist.ca/sites.

Other features of http://search.resist.ca:

* It's multilingual!
* Never any corporate banner ads!
* We won't track your searches and invade your privacy --- for
law-enforcement, commercial, or any other reasons --- like google and
other commercial search engines do!

* It's a great way to find vegan and vegetarian recipes from sites such
as veganchef.com and vegweb.com!

* We promise that --- unlike other search engines --- searching
search.resist.ca for "revolution" won't return results from any game
software developers or business marketing firms!

* We use open-source software to provide features such as:

   - Limiting your search results to one site, or even a domain, for
example all Indymedia sites.
   - Cached pages.  Every page that we index is copied and stored on our
server, so you can still get the information you need even if the
original server is unavailable.
   - A page ranking system to provide relevant results.
   - Searching for sites that link to a page, so that you can find out
who links to your site.

If you run an activist-oriented website and would like to use
search.resist.ca for your site's search, you can grab a code snippet from
http://search.resist.ca/searchcode.html to use on your site.

What's the crappiest thing about search.resist.ca? It's name! We're great
at creating and implementing communications tools for activists but we
suck at giving them cool names. If you like the tool and can think of a
good name for it, let us know at search@resist.ca.

So check it out and give us feedback: help us make this a valuable
communication tool among us who struggle for justice.

______________________
the Resist! Collective
http://resist.ca

About Resist.ca:

The resist.ca project is organized by a group of Vancouver-area activists
who form the Resist! Collective. It exists to provide communications
infrastructure resources to those who we identify as allies in the
struggle against capitalism and for a better world.

The resist.ca project provides email accounts, mailing lists, web space,
domain hosting, news, and other technical services for activists around
the world.

Find out more resist.ca and the Resist! Collective at:
http://help.resist.ca or http://resist.ca/special/about

Apply for a resist.ca email account or other services at
https://new.resist.ca

*******
                       ********
       ****** The A-Infos News Service ******
      News about and of interest to anarchists
                       ******
  COMMANDS: lists@ainfos.ca
  REPLIES: a-infos-d@ainfos.ca
  HELP: a-infos-org@ainfos.ca
  WWW: http://www.ainfos.ca/
  INFO: http://www.ainfos.ca/org

-To receive a-infos in one language only mail lists@ainfos.ca the
message:
                unsubscribe a-infos
                subscribe a-infos-X
 where X = en, ca, de, fr, etc. (i.e. the language code)