Re: [casi] Cultural Rape and Smashing Pumpkins

Yale Daily News, April 15

The violent obliteration of art and memory
http://www.yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=22603

This past week, as Saddam Hussein's 24 years of rule over Iraq came to an
apparent end, 7,000 years of human history vaporized along with them. The
citizens of Baghdad, armed with clubs, guns and sticks, stormed the National
Museum of Iraq and smashed or stole 170,000 artifacts, some dating back
virtually to the Garden of Eden.

In perhaps the worst instance of cultural destruction ever seen in the
Middle East, two days of pillaging ended with the disappearance of some of
humanity's very first works of art: precious gold filaments and jewelry from
Sumeria; ceramics from the time of the Hanging Gardens of Nebuchadnezzar;
harps, cuneiform tablets, sculptured heads, tapestries and friezes; even,
ironically enough, the ancient tablets of the Code of Hammurabi, one of the
first works of law known to civilization.

Curators stood by weeping as American soldiers, flouting the 1954 Hague
conventions, stood by and blithely witnessed the catastrophe. ....

more ....

pg