Re: [casi] Compensations!

In message <20030413115721.11674.qmail@web14503.mail.yahoo.com>, Hassan
Zeini <hasseini@yahoo.com> writes
<snip>

>How can the US/UK be held responsible for those acts
>of pillaging, and how can they be forced to pay
>compensations (from their money, not from Iraq's oil
>money)??

Would the fact that governments and the military *knew* that looting
would take place be grounds for citing negligence?

What precedents are there from other wars?  Is it accepted in military
circles that any country going to war will produce not just death,
injury and destruction from the fighting and use of weapons, but also a
destabilisation of the population in the aftermath, resulting in
pillage, anarchy and disorder?

If governments and the military knew that chaos is normal, ie. to be
expected, after a conflict, then surely they are collaborating with it
and therefore responsible?

I think it was very revealing that Downing Street was so angry about the
BBC reporting on the looting (esp. Andrew Gilligan's reports for the
Today programme) - I suggest that they were angry not at any alleged
over-reporting, but at the fact that this (expected) chaos is being
shown so graphically and publicly to a wider audience than ever before,
including many who hadn't experienced war so didn't know that this was
the norm.

Is there any way that some Iraqi families affected by the chaos could
take the USUK to court?

Cathy

--
Cathy Aitchison