Re: [casi] Compensations!

>while i agree in principle with what economic measures >you propose, i
am fearful that such a response will be >more harmful to the rest of the
world than to the united >states.

It is no easy matter, certainly. I should raise two points, however:

1. We must look to the long term, and judge waht will likely happen if no
action is taken now. My judgement is that the situation will deteriorate,
the US controlling more while the world losing power to resist.

2. The average US citizen is not at all used to being deprived. This is
not to say that Americans are not very tough when need be, but that the
best way to get their attention is to cut off their gasoline, TV, and
other luxuries -- not even considered to be luxuries here.

>the sacrifices of the second world war were
>,as you noted, necessary. but the moral imperatives >fortunately and in
the final analysis coincided with the >will of the stronger. such is not
the case today as you >well know.

It depends on how one measures strength. There are three types of power.
One is physical, as in military. Another is mental/emotional, as in
political will and belief. The third combines the two. It is economic,
which can threaten one's physical safety, but also disrupt "what one
wants".

>drop in that will invariably effect a drop in the >stockmarket, the key
barometer of the health of a >capitalist system. that type of drop
reflects
>not the availability or intrinsic value of riches, but >rather their
trading value.

That's an important consideration -- the difference between money and
wealth.

>the united states , unlike any other nation, possesses an
>extraordinary redundacy  of riches that allows it to >dictate and
enforce its will on the rest of the world.

And yet, at this time, the bulk of it's wealth is abstract. Manufacturing
depends on the importation of foreign materials and components.
Economically it is a great debtor nation such that if foreign money was
withdrawn the country would go into immediate crisis. While it does
produce much of the wheat, for example, other nations are capable of
taking up the slack if trading were blocked.

>if such a boycott were to occur, it would be to the >advantage of bush
and co. at this time, for he and his >cohorts will expand the war,
prolong it and sell it >easily and successfully to the american people.

I think not. First, the US can't bomb the world: that would be self
defeating. It must rely on intimidation and taking out the more defiant
nations one at a time. That's one reason suggested by many for picking on
Iraq first -- one of the weakest of nations. It's much like how the
schoolyard bully operates -- who is most responsive to being shunned by
all his playmates.

>only they matter.

To an extent: the American people are critical for supporting Bush, but
even now there are many who do not support Bush, and many others who
support him rather shallowly.

I would expect that a concerted effort by the world would not need to
last very long before the American people became alarmed enough to rise
up. Already there is a strong undercurrent of disatisfaction in the
states financials woes, with many services being cut.

>absent any moral constraints the united states will >certainly see that
as "imminent threat" and will unleash >its power to simply secure what it
deems necessary
>to relieve such  a threat. japan did that in 1940 when
But where and how? If any one or two countries opposed Bush, that could
be handled, but if many did, then what? Would Americans allow a
reinstatement of the draft? Would they be willing to see even more
billions pumped into the military budget? Would they permit war against
Europe, South America, the Far East, and the rest of the world? Hardly.

>subjected to oil and rubber embargo. clearly the united >states will do
it more ferociously and efficiently. >remember the united states is now
very militaristic, and
>has, in effect, a single party system when it deals with >any issue
outside its shores. thus no political
Assume for a moment that all you say is correct. We have heard the
argument that because Iraq proved so weak there was really no need to war
against it. Does not the reverse logic hold? If the US is truly willing
to war with the entire world, does that not make it even more imperative
to act sooner than later? What chance will any have to resist if the
formation of a world empire is allowed? The situation can be likened to
operating on a cancer while it is still small, for to wait will make the
operation impossible.

>constraints. very few citizens indeed would risk a
>" non-patriot " epithet, with all that entails in loss of >even ability
to earn a living. i envision and i am >fearful that those nations who
have no riches and
>most certainly no "redundancy of riches" will again >render unto Caesar
his due.

Indeed it is a great challenge. The most effective way to meet that is by
acting in unity -- never an easy thing. Each must support the other --
again as with a labor union. No worker can stand alone against a corrupt
company, but a union can.

>the challenge is how best to bring bush home to focus on >his many
problems, for as long as there is "war" outside, >he will continue to
fool his populace within.

The situation is fraught with uncertainty. It is possible that it will
all fader away after a time -- but I think not. Even if the Democrats
take over next election, they are in the same grasp of the corporate
monster. This has been growing for decades.

What other forces can reign in the neo-cons? They care nothing for the
"peasants" as long as they can be kept in their place, and the new
Patriot Act legislation and repression of civil rights makes this easier
to do. More legislation is proposed. Demonstrators are being fired on
with "non-lethal" ammunition, and are being arrested. The media is little
more than propaganda. Look for the internet to come under control before
too much longer.

Just as Bush first saw to the disarmamanet of Iraq, not with just
inspections but with bombing raids for years, before attacking, so the
neo-cons will steadily weaken the opposition before striking overtly.
This is why we must focus not on hope or image, but on actual power --
which is ultimately all that people like this respond to. They have no
conscience, and are out of touch with the more subtle realities.

>i see  no relief there. i anticipate the "wars" will >continue up to
2004 in order to ensure reelection and >achieve what his father could
not.

And then what? Will they give up power? Even if the Republicans are
forced out of office, who will replace them? People like Lieberman? The
Democrats are nearly as bad. Keep in mind there is a winner-take-all
two-party system here, and that dampens moderation. Those who will get
into office will do because they have the money and power, which they
obtain by being corrupt and bought off by the corporations -- which
contribute to both parties.

Was Clinton such a gem?

>nothing wrong with an "undeclared and unorganized" >universal boycotting
of mcdonald's and coca cola, for
Most of those companies operate through locally owned franchises and
factories. But the powerhouse, Bechtel, Halliburton, Raytheon, etc. don't
sell hamburgers. That's where the real power is -- aside from the mass of
people.

>example. i am confident a drop in their earnings will >cause every
serious problems in the american stock >market.

But so what? The game is rigged. There was a terrible stock disaster in
the recent meltdown, but the ones who were hurt had little power to
change much, and were diverted. Most people held only a modest amount of
stock. The money people largely recovered nicely or can afford to wait.
The stock market alone won't do it -- there needs to be disruption on a
more widespread and fundamental basis -- something which will "shock and
awe".

Even now the UN is being discredited to the American people by the US
government and press (both corporate instruments). This is, in effect, a
civil war or coup, but on an international stage. Just as nations in the
past had to struggle to overcome warlonds and city states, to form a
national government, so to we now have to go through a similar process
the democratize the world.

It's a complicated situation, and requires minds far more acute and
knowledgeable than mine to plan in detail, but I see only two
probabilities ahead: a steady decline as the entire world is taken over,
a piece at a time, by those few who would rule, or an awakening, and a
spirited, concerted decision to resist by the bulk of the world's
nations, and an insistence on a world living under international law.
Monarchy or democracy in the global village -- those are the only
realistic choices.