[casi] [jubileeiraq] update + French, German and Russians lobby your governments

Below are the latest statements on Iraq's debt from the IMF/WB meetings
in Washington.
French, Germans and Russians please lobby your governments and help with
the campaign www.jubileeiraq.org <http://www.jubileeiraq.org/>

I'm also trying to think of champions to recruit in the Middle East to
pressure the Arab creditors to support debt forgiveness for Iraq. Prince
Hassan of Jordan sprang to mind as someone with moral authority in both
the West and Middle East. Any other ideas of people we could recruit?
Religious leaders in Mecca & Medina or from the Egyptian Madrassas? Let
me know if you have any ideas.

Justin

Statements on debt Saturday 12th April

Andrei Illarionov (an economic adviser to Putin) told
<http://reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml?type=bondsNews&storyID=2554
871>  Reuters that no country is seriously talking about writing off
Iraq's debt. "I haven't heard anybody seriously discussing the
possibility of writing the Iraqi debt off. The Paris Club is not about
writing off, it's not about reduction. It's about how particular
countries can and should service their debt and different mechanisms can
be used to persuade a country's creditors to do it in a timely and
appropriate manner. It is very well known that Iraq is not a less
developed country so that the procedures [e.g. 'Cologne terms' 90% write
off - JI] that would be applied to a lesser developed country can hardly
be applied to Iraq" he said. Russia itself went to the Paris Club of
creditors after its economic collapse in 1998, but only received a
rescheduled over 19 years period with two years of grace.

The International Monetary and Financial Committee (IMFC) said: "It is
important to address the debt issue, and we look forward to early
engagement of the Paris Club (group of creditor nations)." Reuters
<http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=2554895>

A UN Security Council resolution to rebuild Iraq is
<http://www.newsday.com/business/nationworld/ats-ap_business10apr13,0,66
43631.story?coll=sns-business-headlines>  likely after the US dropped
its insistence that it could initiate IMF and World Bank action without
one.

John Snow (US Treasury Secretary) said
<http://www.spacewar.com/2003/030412214246.zvvju6oj.html>  that G7
officials "began substantive discussions about how our nations and the
international institutions can work together to help the Iraqi people
recover -- not just from 25 days of conflict, but from 25 years of
economic misrule." The ministers "had useful discussions about how to
proceed with the Iraqi debt -- recognizing that the Iraqi people cannot
bear the burden of current debt levels -- and we recognize the need of
the Paris Club to begin to address this issue."

Hans Eichel (German Finance Minister) said
<http://www.spacewar.com/2003/030412214246.zvvju6oj.html>  his country
was not prepared to start writing off its Iraqi debt. "We do not only
expect to get our money, we will get our money back. If a country has
the possibility of repaying its debt, it must do so."

Francis Mer (French Finance Minister) said
<http://www.spacewar.com/2003/030412214246.zvvju6oj.html>  "One does not
clear the slate (but) this (debt) can be progressively renegotiated.
This does not mean ... that the past must be forgotten and that the
debts of a country should be dropped after a change in government."

Horst Kohler (IMF Managing Director) said
<http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20030412-071622-4619r.htm>
that it was still "premature" to discuss restructuring or forgiving some
of Iraq's foreign debt. "We need to know the numbers."