Re: [casi] the REAL Iraqis are not dancing in the streets - response to Yasser Alaskary

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 17:17:19 -0700 (PDT) Li Saavedra
<saavedra1979@yahoo.com> writes:

>I don't want or intend this to be an argument, but I
>must comment on your note, which I am not certain I
>understand.  No, I STILL don't know what the Iraqis
>felt or wanted.  My understanding is that most of them
>hated Saddam but hated the idea of being invaded with

>> i cannot believe the instults of this email. all to
>> avoid the simple fact
>> that YOU WERE WRONG, you didn't understand what
>> iraqis felt or wanted.

I'm gonna jump in here with having no first-hand knowledge of Iraq, but
with more than a few years experience about people.

First, to say "Iraqis" want this or feel that is a very broad
generalization. No large group is monolithic.

Second, every nation has criminals, saints, and all kinds in between.

Third, most people are barely aware of what they want or what they think,
and what they feel is usually mixed and transient. One example of this is
the absurdity of the polls here in the US which indicate that most people
supported the war, but were against many things which are necessarily
part of the war -- all modified by any number of other factors such as UN
sanction. How else could at least 20% of the people change their mind
overnight, when the first bomb dropped?

Fourth, aside from the transient emotions and thoughts of the majority,
it's not too hard to look at the situation objectively, sitting some
distance from the bombs. We all know what people generally want -- the
same things all of us want.

Fifth, and most important: the war-mongers main tool is propaganda,
including oversimplification and dividing the opposition. They try to
frame the issues, such as with "support the war or support Hussein",
"with Bush or with the terrorists", "support the war or support the
troops".

The US has been using the same basic tactic for decades in installing
dictators and destabilizing areas: that way extremism is born and the US
then has a propagandist tool and excuse for attacking whichever side
isn't pleasing it.

 Some years back the US took them from bad to worse, and now has taken
them back from worse to bad -- depending on what one is considering at a
given moment. If I had to guess what an abstract group like "the real
Iraqis" were doing, I'd say they are dancing in the streets very sadly --
to the tune of a dirge. The reality is far more complex.

The pain of living is more than we can contain -- and so we dance.

Pax!