From: "abdul karim salih" <akarimsalih@hotmail.com>
To: <casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 5:19 AM
Subject: [casi] Beginning of the End of our Struggle for freedom

Here is a press release from the Iraq Communist Party from Kurdistan where
the party is in exile:

Following is the content of a comment broadcast on 18th March 2003 by the
Iraqi Communist Party radio," Voice of the Iraqi People", based in Iraqi
Kurdistan:

While the Catastrophe of War is Looming

the Regime Terrorises the Iraqi People

In his televised speech last night, President Bush has put our country and
our people closer than ever to the catastrophe of war, something we have
always feared and done all we could to avert. For months the US
administration had been mobilising its huge military forces and gear, and
now its president has declared that they are about to attack within the
coming few days.

     The Iraqi people have already suffered two wars, repression after their
uprising in March 1991, the 12-year sanctions ordeal, and the horrors
wrought on them by the regime. This war will add further to the devastation
of the country and the loss of life among its people.

     That is basically why we have been emphasising time and again that war
is the worst option. The downfall of the current regime and the
establishment of democracy in our country could be achieved by other means,
which would spare the lives of the innocent, if there is genuine political
will.

     The Bush administration has opposed any other means but war, in spite
of its  huge adverse impact - not only on Iraq and its people - but on the
security and stability of the region, and beyond. The US has taken the
decision to resort to war, in violation of international legitimacy as
represented by the United Nations, and in disregard to worldwide opposition
by governments and peoples.

     Having said that, we neither ignore nor deny that present tyrannical
regime is the principal culprit for dragging Iraq towards a new war, as well
as inflicting  suffering on our people and  devastation of the country for
the past 35 years.

 Thus, while George W Bush has signalled that war was imminent, Saddam
Hussein's security troops and the Baath party militias have been deployed in
streets and squares in Baghdad and other cities, to terrorise the people and
break their will, by suppressing any sign of discontent or resistance,
rather than take serious and genuine measures to avert the war. Any
responsible rulers would have done everything in their power to spare their
country and their people further tragedies, even if this meant stepping. The
call for Saddam and his clique to step down and leave Iraq has not been made
simply because US president set that as a condition to avert the war. For
years our party has struggled to rid the country of this dictatorship.

     In these terrible days, we appeal to our people, caught between the US
hammer and the regime's anvil, to remain steadfast and patient, ready to
defend their life and their rights, to persist in their endeavour to
determine their own destiny themselves, and to establish the unified
democratic federal Iraq we all aspire to.

     We appeal to the friends of our people, in the region as well as the
public opinion worldwide, to continue the solidarity with our people and
exert all possible effort, before the breakout of war, to prevent it and
thus spare the Iraqi people the agonies awaiting them.

regimes- not least