[casi] "Open Wings, Darkened Skies"

            Open Wings, Darkened Skies

                         by Lisa Walsh Thomas

"Well into the war that was supposed to rid Iraq of
its alleged stockpile of weapons of mass destruction,
a senior British official admitted on Saturday that no
chemical, biological or nuclear weapons of mass
destruction may after all be found. The confession
reconfirms the worst fears of opponents of the war
that 'weapons of mass destruction' is only a ruse for
the US and the British to go to war against Iraq...."
- Ruben Bannerjee Aljazeera.net   Sunday 06, April,
2003

                   * * * * *

A black shapeless mass now lurks at the edge of our
lives, the bogeyman of childhood, the dragon of our
worst epiphanies.

Like a scene in an old Star Trek episode, it might be
about whatever frightens us most, a changeling
redefined by whatever appears to threaten us --
widespread poverty, or maybe the loss of American
freedoms. It might be about a collapse of accepted
social structures, impending genocide. War, military
coups, revolution, global economic collapse, any of
the dangers to a way of life we have possibly failed
to seriously analyze.

The dragon hovering over our reality could be about
any of these things; even worse, it could be about ALL
of them. In a somber moment, it should be evident that
everything in our world is simply falling apart. The
four horsemen of the apocalypse -- pestilence, war,
famine, death -- they are barely out of the gate.

And yet people of our nation go about their daily
lives. The grocery clerk smiles and asks me how long
this "fantastic" spring weather can last. No
acknowledgement of a boy choking to death on the black
smoke of Baghdad while he stumbles across yellow
unexploded and illegal bomblets in the alleys in
search of his sister.

rest of essay at:  http://americaheldhostile.com/ed040903-1.shtml

=====
"our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of
patriotic fervor - with the cry of grave national emergency. always there has been some terrible
evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly
rally behind it."

-- general douglas macarthur, 1957