Re: [casi] Background: AIPAC and the Iraqi opposition

> Background: AIPAC and the Iraqi opposition
>
> By Nathan Guttman

> WASHINGTON - An unusual visitor was invited to address the
> annual conference held last week in Washington by AIPAC,
> the pro-Israeli lobby in the United States: the head of
> the Washington office of the Iraqi National Congress,
> Intifad Qanbar. The INC is one of the main opposition
> groups outside Iraq...

Noasalira,

A few days ago, someone with a .gov.il address posted
an article here by Barry Rubin - a notorious pro-zionist
propagandist. It a was poorly thought out rant about
the Arab press - and the Arab world. Did you see it?

Now you post a lengthy piece about the relationship
between the 'pro-Israeli lobby' AIPAC and Mr. Chalabi's
INC - and the machinations they are cooking up for a
post-Saddam Hussein Iraq. The author, Nathan Guttman,
also explained that Judaism in general and Conservative
rabbis in particular approve of preemptive war. That's
comforting to know.

But what did you have in mind when you posted this?
And why should CASI be concerned right now about the
interests of pro-zionist groups and the opportunistic
INC? Why Noasalira? Why?

At this very moment USUK military are shooting at
everything that moves in Iraq - children, women and men.
The storm into houses, like the Israeli military, and
force people at gun point on their knees. Hospitals
are overflowing and there is no medicine. In short,
innocent civilians are being killed, maimed,
harassed, and traumatized.

All our emphasis should be on this, I think - inside
and outside CASI. What is needed is some empathy in a
very brutal world. And you can only generate empathy
by talking about what is going on in Iraq right now.

Instead CASI is being swamped with articles from the
US and UK mainstream press that have no bearing on the
suffering of the Iraqi people - or on the injustice
that is being committed. Shouldn't articles that
relate to neither be submitted to Peter Brooke for
selection?

And couldn't you try to turn your heart to the Iraqi
people right now? Perhaps you could tell your own
thoughts and feelings about what is going on?

Forgive me if I sound unreasonable - I probably am.
But I feel what is needed now is compassion, not reason.

And it made me very sad and angry to see this posted
here - right on top of the Rubin rant. This is no
way to create compassion.

In sadness,
Elga Sutter

Background: AIPAC and the Iraqi opposition

By Nathan Guttman

WASHINGTON - An unusual visitor was invited to address the annual
conference
held last week in Washington by AIPAC, the pro-Israeli lobby in the United
States: the head of the Washington office of the Iraqi National Congress,
Intifad Qanbar. The INC is one of the main opposition groups outside Iraq,
and its leaders consider themselves natural candidates for leadership
positions in the post-Saddam Hussein era. Qanbar's invitation to the
conference reflects a first attempt to disclose the links between the
American Jewish community and the Iraqi opposition, after years in which
the
two sides have taken pains to conceal them.

[rest deleted]