[casi] Al Jazeera targeted in Baghdad

http://english.aljazeera.net/topics/article.asp?cu_no=1&item_no=2115&version
=1&template_id=263&parent_id=258

*  US warplanes bomb Al Jazeera office, kill journalist
aljazeera.net, 8th April

Al-Jazeera correspondent Tariq Ayoub was killed on Tuesday when two US
missiles struck the Baghdad offices of the Qatar-based channel.

"We regret to inform you that our cameraman and correspondent Tariq Ayoub
was killed this morning during the US missile strike on our Baghdad office,"
the Qatar-based channel said in a statement read out during its news
bulletin.

Another cameraman, Zuheir Iraqi, was slightly wounded with shrapnel to his
neck. Ayoub giving his last report minutes before the US attack

They were both standing on the roof getting ready for a live broadcast amid
intensifying bombardment of the city when the building was hit by two
missiles, according to Tayseer Allouni, another correspondent.

Cameraman Iraqi came down bleeding, but Ayoub did not show up. ³I ran up as
the shells were still falling and crawled on the roof and shouted for Tariq,
but he did not answer,² Allouni said.

³It seems that we have become a target,² Tayseer Allouni, Al-Jazeera
correspondent said. Another of
 Jazeera's Baghdad correspondents Majed Abdel Hadi called the U.S. missile
strike and Ayoub's death a "crime".

"I will not be objective about this because we have been dragged into this
conflict," he said, visibly upset. "We were targeted because the Americans
don't want the world to see the crimes they are committing against the Iraqi
people."

Ayoub. aged 35, was married with one daughter. He travelled to Baghdad only
five days ago to join the Al-Jazeera team from the channel's Amman office
where he had worked as a financial correspondent for three years. Originally
from Palestine, he had also worked for the Jordan Times and the
international news agency Associated Press.