[casi] US bombs John Simpson, BBC correspondent

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2921807.stm

Last Updated:  Sunday, 6 April, 2003, 09:50 GMT 10:50 UK

 Email this to a friend   Printable version

'This is just a scene from hell'

The bomb landed just feet away from John Simpson (library photo)
The BBC's world affairs editor John Simpson has been injured in Northern
Iraq in an apparent mistaken attack on a US special forces convoy by one of
their own planes.
Moments after the attack, John Simpson broadcast live by satellite telephone
on the BBC news channel, News 24.

 This is a really bad own goal by the Americans

John Simpson
"Well it's a bit of a disaster... I was in a convoy of eight or 10 cars in
northern Iraq coming up to a place that has just recently been captured.
American special forces in a truck - two trucks I think - beside them, plus
a very senior figure ..."

Simpson to US soldier: "Shut up. I'm broadcasting! Oh yes, I'm fine - am I
bleeding."

US soldier: "Yes, you've got a cut."

Simpson: "I thought you were going to stop me. I think I've just got a bit
of shrapnel in the leg, that's all. OK, I will - thanks a lot.

"That was one of the American special forces medics - I thought he was going
to try to stop me reporting. I've counted 10 or 12 bodies around us. So
there are Americans dead. It was an American plane that dropped the bomb
right beside us - I saw it land about 10 feet, 12 feet away I think.

"We were so close to the damage and - it didn't damage us badly at any rate.
This is just a scene from hell here. All the vehicles on fire. There are
bodies burning around me, there are bodies lying around, there are bits of
bodies on the ground. This is a really bad own goal by the Americans.

"We don't really know how many Americans are dead. There is ammunition
exploding in fact from some of these cars. A very senior member of the
Kurdish Republic's government who also may have been injured."

TV presenter Maxine Mawhinney: "John, just to recap for the viewers, an
American plane dropped a bomb on your convoy of American special forces -
many dead, many injured?"

Simpson: "I am sorry to be so excitable. I am bleeding through the ear and
everything but that is absolutely the case. I saw this American convoy, and
they bombed it. They hit their own people - they may have hit this Kurdish
figure - very senior, and they've killed a lot of ordinary characters, and I
am just looking at the bodies now and it is not a very pretty sight."

sign the pledge of resistance to the "war on terrorism"
www.j-n-v.org