[casi] Advertisment for Garbage by johann@johannhari.com

"Images of death and destruction don't stop me
supporting this conflict."

How on earth did someone with the density of Johann Hari ever qualify for a
"Young Journalist of the Year" honor?

He muses that "If we had taken the route preferred by the anti-war camp,
people would have carried on dying at
Saddam's hands for weeks, months, years - and then died under his deranged
son, Uday, and so on and on, corpse upon corpse."

This is either sheer idiocy, or mere parroting of the long defunct party
line from Washington and London.  Has it completely escaped Mr. Hari that
millions of Iraqi deaths were not caused by Saddam Hussein but by the
diabolical sanctions imposed by the United States and the United Kingdom via
a browbeaten United Nations.  Give us a break, Mr. Hari.  Isn't the world
aready full with "journalists" who have betrayed the ideal of the
profession, objectivity and impartial reporting.  I can hardly imagine that
there is much need for more of this, young or notl.

Mr. Hari nonchalantly mentions the Ba'ath regime of Iraq as obviating
overthrow.  It that were indeed the case then it would certainly be a matter
for the people of Iraq to take up, just as they had succeeded in
overthrowing the previous regime (with a little help and intrigue from the
US/UK, of course.)  What are Mr. Hari's credentials for pontificating on the
legitimacy or lack thereof of any government except, perhaps, his own?  Is
he next going to provide us with a list of governments that, in his opinion,
also must be overthrown?

Should he plan to provide us with such a list, we will see whether it
includes the numerous repressive regimes that are currently enjoying the
favor of the hegemon because, unlike Saddam, they acquiesce to the economic
rape, plunder and pillage of their own people by the "sole superpower" and
its nasty little sidekick.  Where does meagerly informed Mr. Hari come off
acting as if "taking out Saddam" is a self-evident necessity?  Perhaps he
should take a sabbatical from journalism and inform himself of who
represents a bona fide danger to world peace and stability.  Hint: it is not
Saddam Hussein.

Let Mr. Hari peruse the literature around Project for a New American
Century, the script which has thus far been followed by the Bush
administration.  At what point of the agenda will Mr. Hari request that his
brain be returned to him that he must have handed over in a glass jar?  Or
would he be with it all the way?  I recommend that whatever panel decided to
bestow journalistic honors upon Mr. Hari take another look.  Perhaps there
is a provision for rescinding the award when the recipient proves himself
unworthy of it.  This, in my opinion, is clearly the case.