[casi] Amnesty: Condemnation of British use of cluster bombs

AI INDEX: MDE 14/067/2003     3 April 2003
http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engmde140672003

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
PRESS RELEASE
News Flash

AI Index: MDE 14/067/2003 (Public)
News Service No: 080

Iraq: Condemnation of British use of cluster bombs
Amnesty International today condemned the British Government for using cluster bombs in Iraq.

Responding to an admission from Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon that these weapons had been used in
Iraq, Amnesty International said: "We had asked the US and UK governments to confirm that they
would not use such indiscriminate weapons because of the threat they pose to civilians. Now we
understand why they were silent."

"In the face of the glaring evidence of how these weapons affect civilians, we reiterate our call
on both governments to undertake not to use them again for the sake of the civilians of Iraq."

"They must also explain where and why the weapons were used."

For more information, please download Amnesty International's previous press releases on the use of
cluster bombs:
http://www.web.amnesty.org/ainsf/recent/mde140652003
http://www.web.amnesty.org/ainsf/recent/act790062003
http://www.web.amnesty.org/ainsf/recent/mde140502003

To view an interview with Secretary General Irene Khan please see
http://emedia.amnesty.org/IK_clusterbombs.ram

To view an interview with Amnesty International's military expert, please see
http://emedia.amnesty.org/mines.ram

Public Document
For more information please call Amnesty International's press office in London, UK, on +44 20 7413
5566
Amnesty International, 1 Easton St., London WC1X 0DW. web: http://www.amnesty.org

For latest human rights news view http://news.amnesty.org