Re: [casi] Iraq imported chewing gum machines through OFF?

Hi,

>'the oil-for-food programme was abused by the Iraqi regime by, for
>example, using it to "import thousands of chewing gum machines"'.
>
>Has anyone heard anything about this before? I've emailed OIP about it
>and await a response (not holding my breath in view of current crisis)

A google search yields the following:

http://www.sourceuk.net/indexf.html?02857 (dated 03/12/2002)

"Meanwhile Iraqi orders submitted to the UN for approval during one week
in October included 22,000 tons of chewing gum machines, 12,000 tons of
mobile phones, 36,000 dishwashers and over three quarters of a million TVs. "

There are more results, all from UK government sites. (sourceuk also seems to
be a uk government site)

casi mentions it too in the guide btw:
http://www.casi.org.uk/guide/blame.html

Greetings,