Re: [casi] 'Aid as a propaganda tool'

"[T]he Today programme's foreign affairs correspondent, Mike Williams,
claimed that the [Galahad] docking had been postponed earlier this week
because helicopters had not been able to ferry journalists into position so
they could watch coalition forces handing out supplies to - hopefully -
grateful civilians."

http://media.guardian.co.uk/iraqandthemedia/story/0,12823,924594,00.html

The first casualty

A look at the way the war is being spun and reported

Steven Morris
Friday March 28, 2003
The Guardian

· Aid delay

Making sure the world witnesses aid reaching the people of southern Iraq
has become an essential part of the public relations battle.

At briefings yesterday British military chiefs said it was crucial that
supplies reached needy civilians quickly. "Our desire is to start aid
operations as soon as possible," said the chief of the defence staff,
Admiral Sir Michael Boyce, before explaining that the Royal Fleet Auxiliary
ship Sir Galahad, which is loaded with 200 tonnes of aid, had been unable
to dock because more mines had been found near the port of Umm Qasr.

But the Today programme's foreign affairs correspondent, Mike Williams,
claimed that the docking had been postponed earlier this week because
helicopters had not been able to ferry journalists into position so they
could watch coalition forces handing out supplies to - hopefully - grateful
civilians.

An Ministry of Defence spokesman insisted the Galahad would move in as soon
as the waters around the port were declared clear.

· Soldiers or civilians?

Though they have criticised Iraq for allowing images of captured servicemen
to be broadcast, coalition leaders have not always successfully stopped
embedded photographers and film crews taking pictures of their prisoners.

Iraq has not been slow in pointing out the apparent discrepancy and is now
also claiming that US and British soldiers have rounded up civilians in Umm
Qasr and the suburbs of Basra and passed them off as captured soldiers.

A regime spokesman told the Iraq news agency that the coalition was trying
to "delude public opinion into believing they managed to arrest our
military personnel".

He added: "We hold the Americans and the British responsible for violating
international law and the international conventions by kidnapping
civilians, shackling them and regarding them as PoWs."

· American heroes

The Americans yesterday put up three servicemen who had been injured in
Iraq to speak of their experiences.

The three were clean cut, coherent and their injuries would not have been
too unpalatable for the viewers back home.

"It was just like in the movies," said Sergeant Charles Horgan, from
Montana, telling a press conference at a US base in Germany about the
moment a rocket-propelled grenade found its target.

Staff Sergeant Jamie Villafane, his injured arm resting on a pillow, added:
"Getting shot at wasn't that bad. It was getting shot which sucked."

He described how he had taken a group of Iraqis prisoner. "There were four
against me and they gave up. They were terrified for their lives."

Later at their briefing in Qatar, the US had clearly decided to try to get
a new message across. Since Monday it has been showing dramatic cockpit
images of "precision" weapons seemingly hitting their intended targets.

Yesterday photographs of Iraqi children apparently smiling and waving at
troops were shown. Brigadier-General Vincent Brooks felt it necessary to
say that the children had not been "coerced".