Re: [casi] Int'l Red Cross in Basra

On the 26th the ICRC said this (in Press release No. 03/21) :

"IRAQ: WATER SUPPLY PARTLY RE-ESTABLISHED IN BASRA

"Geneva (ICRC) - Iraqi water engineers and staff of the International
Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) have managed to partially restart the
main water pumping facility serving the city of Basra in southern Iraq.
The
ICRC estimates that 50 per cent of the city's approximately 1.5 million
inhabitants now have access to drinking water. This latest development
will
also considerably improve the quality of the drinking water available to
the people of Basra.

"Technicians from the Basra Directorate of Water and ICRC engineers
managed
to start up three out of six back-up generators at Wafa' Al-Qaed pumping
station. The station had not been operating since last Friday when
electricity was cut off. However, a number of spare parts are still
needed
before it will be possible to start the three remaining back-up
generators.
The ICRC and local technicians are continuing their efforts to get the
pumping station running normally again.

"The ICRC remains concerned about the situation in other urban centres
south
of Basra that have been disconnected from the water-supply network since
last Friday. These include Al-Zubayr, Safwan and Jabjud. It has so far
not
been possible to carry out repair work in these areas.

"The repair work at Wafa' Al-Qaed became possible after the ICRC
contacted
all parties to the conflict in Iraq to obtain security assurances for
its
staff and the technicians of the Basra water board. The ICRC carried out
the work with the full support and cooperation of the parties to the
conflict."

In message <BAY1-F85XZiRAECJigl0001caaf@hotmail.com>, Bert Gedin
<gedinbert@hotmail.com> writes

>Dear ppg & List,
>
>After some 'armchair-googling': 'The Independent', UK (on-line), March 23,
>-03, has this article: "Cholera Warning as Red Cross tries to restore clean
>water." Quote: "The International Red Cross (ICRC) said it
>had sent a team into Basra despite the fighting between British & Iraqi
>soldiers, after obtaining guarantees from both sides".
>
>Greetings,
>Bert Gedin
>Birmingham, UK.
>

>>From: "ppg" <ppg@nyc.rr.com>
>>To: <casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk>
>>Subject: [casi] Int'l Red Cross in Basra
>>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:42:28 -0500
>>
>>If it is true that officials of Basra have asked the Int'l Red Coss to
>>provide  an escorted safe passage to allow Basra engineers access to the
>>electrical power plant that was struck cutting off  pure water supply to
>>Basra civilians, would that not be more effective and faster than the
>>complicated plans the Brits are projecting for building a "water pipeline
>>from Kuwait to Basra"?
>>
>>The Red Cross reply was (I think!) that a temporary cease-fire on both
>>sides
>>would be required forRed Cross action to save lives  in Basra.
>>Anybody know more about this sensible proposal in the midst of complete
>>insanity?
>>
>>pg, nyc

Cathy Aitchison