[casi] Ghazwan, Casi list-member: UK/USA, It Means to Me: United to Kill US All

"UK/USA, It Means to Me: United to Kill US All"

An Ordinary Iraqi Speaks Out
by Gazwan Al Muktar in Baghdad
Interviewed by Amy Goodman and Jeremy Scahill

Dissident Voice
March 27, 2003

Note: This interview was conducted just moments after reports emerged that US/UK forces bombed
Iraqi television and a market place in a residential neighborhood in Baghdad. Democracy Now! Host
Amy Goodman and correspondent Jeremy Scahill spoke with Gazwan Al Muktar, a retired engineer from
his home in Baghdad.

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT

Jeremy Scahill, Democracy Now! correspondent: We're joined on the phone by Gazwan Al Muktar, a
retired engineer and ordinary resident of Baghdad , something that you almost never hear on the US
networks. Gazwan, we're hearing reports that a Baghdad marketplace has been bombed. As many as
forty plus people being killed--again, the reports are just coming in--as well about Iraqi TV being
hit. What are you hearing in Baghdad right now, Gazwan Al Muktar?

Gazwan Al Muktar: Jeremy, we have been,--since the morning-- continuously bombarded since last
night. We are being threatened this night with the severest bombardment since the start of the war.
They have attacked the television station and the Iraqi Satellite Channel, which has resulted in
the deaths of so many TV journalists and the TV technicians. Also they are threatening to bomb
the--or attack-- the congregation of the TV satellite channels correspondents, or the international
correspondents in the Ministry of Information. This is at the Press Center. And everybody, every
journalist, is in a panic because this is a crime against the journalism. This is an unacceptable
violation of the journalists who have immunity from being attacked or something, or bombarded. But
apparently the US is intent is to continue bombarding so that no word will be coming out of Baghdad
to show the severity of the bombing that we are being subjected to.

Amy Goodman, Democracy Now! host: Describe what happened to the building of the television station.

Gazwan Al Muktar: The antenna, the satellite channel building was totally demolished. There were
hundreds of technicians and people working, and reporters, people working at the station who are
right now in a hospital, many of them were killed. Also the Baghdad television station and the
"Youth Television" [run by Uday Hussein, the president's son] building have been bombed. And since
morning there has been no television broadcast in Iraq. So we don't really know what's happening. I
just talked to a foreign journalist this afternoon, and he is shaken up, because he doesn't know
what to do, because he is being again.the Ministry of Information and Press Center where all the
journalists congregate.they think it's going to be targeted tonight-

Jeremy Scahill: Gazwan-

Gazwan Al Muktar: If that is going to be targeted, many, many of the journalists would leave Iraq
and no one would be reporting the severity of the bombing that is happening in Iraq.

Jeremy Scahill: Gazwan are you able to make it out of your house around the city. I know in the
initial day of this bombing that we talked to you, you were able to get out and look at what was
going on in the city. Are you able to do that now?

Gazwan Al Muktar: Jeremy, I just got back about half an hour ago. I took a tour in Baghdad. I went
to Mansour, I went to Adhamiya, I went to Karrada. There are very few people on the road because
again yesterday the US said that any vehicle moving on the road is a target, a legitimate target ..
and that was coming out of the Centcom in Bahrain, in the briefing. So even right now civilians
traveling on the road are being targeted according to the US Central Command and that is totally
unacceptable-it's a total-it's a burden on the civilians who need to go shopping, who need to
attend hospitals or to just mill around in the city seeing what's happening or visiting relatives
who are injured or ah, you know, going around their daily lives.

Amy Goodman: Gazwan Al Muktar, why don't you just leave?

Gazwan Al Muktar: Leave where?

Amy Goodman: Leave Baghdad.

Gazwan Al Muktar: Every other town is being targeted. Every other town is being targeted It's not
only Baghdad that's being targeted. Baccuba is being targeted, Mosul is being targeted, Tikrit is
being targeted, Hilla is being targeted. God, the whole country is being targeted. What you are
hearing is only that Baghdad is being targeted and Basra is being targeted. No, it's Mosul and
Basra, Kirkuk, Kirkuk, Tikrit, Samawa, Nasriya, the whole place is being targeted. Ramadi has been
targeted on the western part of the country. So where do you go? You leave your house, where do you
go? You go to another place where they're gonna target you? If you leave your house what do you
take with you? You take beds or you take kerosene or you take food or you take-you need a truck to
carry your stuff because you are going to last for about a month outside, or maybe longer.

Jeremy Scahill: Gazwan-

Gazwan Al Muktar: I have taken my family outside Baghdad yes. And I talked to them over the
telephone yesterday and they said there was bombing on the western part of the country.

Jeremy Scahill: Just to remind people, we are talking to Gazwan Al Muktar. He is an ordinary Iraqi
who lives in Baghdad, a retired engineer. Gazwan, we're hearing reports that US forces are now
getting very close to Baghdad what kinds of preparations are people making for what Robert Fisk,
the journalist, described as the potential siege of Baghdad when the US forces try to come into
Baghdad?

Gazwan Al Muktar: Look, Jeremy, the first thing we know is that the war is going to last a long
time. It's not a cakewalk or as they envisioned it. We have already-- before the war started-- we
planned on-- we stocked food, we stocked water, drinking water, we drilled wells and we bought
generators and we had enough kerosene and we stocked on petrol, because we know that those are all
going to be needed in the long war that is being-- that was going to be waged on us and now events
proved this. So far the people have not be able to capture the Basra. Shelling the city of Basra
and Basra is without water for four nights, four days and no electricity and no water. This is
according to the Red Crescent and Red Cross society. Even Kofi Annan said the humanitarian
situation in Basra is, is dangerous.

Amy Goodman: Gazwan Al Muktar-

Gazwan Al Muktar: We have started being bombarded in Baghdad, we will be bombarded shortly and it's
going to be a long term bombardment.

Amy Goodman: We're talking to Gazwan Al Muktar and I want to say how rare this is in the United
States to hear an ordinary Iraqi on the telephone being broadcast around the country and how
difficult it is right now to get through to Baghdad. Another thing, it is very tough to see in this
country is pictures of Iraqi casualties. For our television viewing audience, we are now showing
horrific images of casualties. People who have survived and people who haven't but have terrible
wounds. This is being shown in other places, for example on Al Jazeera but not in this country. The
Pentagon in the past has made it very clear that the Americans are a compassionate people and if
they were to see these images, they would not want this to continue. Gazwan Al Muktar, what are you
seeing on television. Are you seeing Iraqi casualties? Are you seeing US casualties?

Gazwan Al Muktar: Look, I have two nephews who are doctors, junior doctors in the hospital and I
was just with them today. One of them was actually moved from one hospital to another hospital to
attend for the casualties for the Iraqi Satellite Channel casualties and he tells me that the
hospital was full.

Jeremy Scahill: Gazwan-

Gazwan Al Muktar: I just talked with him. I had lunch with him.

Jeremy Scahill: Gazwan, what will you do, if US forces try to come into Baghdad, you as a man, what
are you planning to do?

Gazwan Al Muktar: Well ah-what I'm planning to do? I will pull up my rifle and I will shoot. And I
will shoot at anybody who comes in. I'm a sixty year old man, but I am not going to let anybody,
any foreigner tell me what to do or running my own country. This is a country I have spent all my
life, trying to build something, to do something about improving the lot of the Iraqi people. Iraq
is a wealthy country, Iraq has been, because of the sanctions, relegated to a third class country.
You remember in 1961, that's 42 years ago, the Iraqi government then, and it wasn't the Ba'ath
Party government, sent me to the States to study. I was a high school student. They sent me. Iraq
has invested a lot of money in our education, a lot of time. The consecutive governments, all the
governments of Iraq, and we are trying to build a country and you have ruined it. The US government
is destroying everything. They destroyed it in '91 and we rebuilt it and they are destroying
whatever we have rebuilt--

Amy Goodman: The US government says-

Gazwan Al Muktar: --for absolutely no reason.

Amy Goodman: The US government says it's Saddam Hussein who is ruining it.

Gazwan Al Muktar: What?

Amy Goodman: The US government says it's Saddam Hussein who is ruining it.

Gazwan Al Muktar: Well, they're entitled to their view, but my view is that Saddam Hussein, was in
1984 was the President when Donald Rumsfeld came and shook his hand and said "he's a nice fellow,
we can work with him." Saddam Hussein is the same Saddam Hussein that you people gave commodity
credits to. So what changes is the perceptions of Donald Rumsfeld of what Saddam Hussein is. Saddam
Hussein is the same Saddam Hussein that I have known in '79 when he took power. So anything that
changes, it's the perception of Donald Rumsfeld. Saddam Hussein is the same Saddam Hussein that
dealt with Ronald Reagan and the presidents before him. It's now Bush, he doesn't like Saddam
Hussein and he had-they are ruining the country. Bush is entitled to say whatever he wants. But
that doesn't make him right.

Jeremy Scahill: This is the voice of Gazwan Al Muktar, something I have not seen on any of the
networks. An ordinary Iraqi speaking live to Americans via radio and television. Gazwan we want to
thank you very much for being with us. Do you have any final comments you want to make to this
national audience in the United States right now?

Gazwan Al Muktar: Jeremy, everytime I look at the letters, UKUSA, it means to me: "United to Kill
Us All." And that, if you take the first letters of it it's UKUSA and that's how I feel. The two
countries are united to kill us all, irrespective whether we support the government or we don't
support the government.

Jeremy Scahill: Gazwan-

Gazwan Al Muktar: The final thing, Jeremy, the final thing, I think, it's the blind leading the
blind. You are blind, I mean the US government is blind, and it's led by another blind people who
are the oppositions who are telling you that we will welcome the American soldiers. And you saw
what happened in Um Qasr, Al Fao and Basra and Nassiriya. Those are the Shi'ite places where you
think they should have welcomed the revolt against the government. But they did not. So it's about
time, you people open up your eyes and see what's happening and understand the message and forget
about the rhetoric.

Amy Goodman: Gazwan Al Muktar, thank you for being with us, and please be safe.

Gazwan Al Muktar: Thank you very much.

Democracy Now! is an investigative news radio journal that's a vitally important antidote to the
lies and deceptions of state/corporate media. The program is hosted by Amy Goodman and Jeremy
Scahill. To find out what radio stations near you air Democracy Now!, or to listen to the program
on-line, visit: www.democracynow.org