[casi] shock and awe/Racist reporting

There is also something very racist about the surprise and lack of
comprehension from commentators about Iraqi resistance against coalition
troops.

eg:  BBC Radio 4 Today this morning* - discussion about resistance in
Basra with John Humphries, Andy McNab (pen name for author and former
SAS soldier), General Patrick Cordingley and Riad al-Tahir (hope that's
spelt right), Friendship Across Frontiers.

John Humphries was somewhat dismissive of the viewpoint of al-Tahir, who
was arguing that Iraqis are defending their homeland against the same
people (ie. USUK govts) who have devastated the country with years of
sanctions.

Humphries:  "you could argue for the rest of the programme about
sanctions.."  and a bit later,  "are you really suggesting that Saddam
is much loved?" (ie. because you are suggesting the people won't
automatically welcome troops planning to overthrow him)

Interestingly, Andy McNab expressed understanding for this resistance
and agreed that Iraqis were fighting for their homeland:
"...quite so, some of the local population will be defending their
homelands, their back yards and their homes - I would."

The discussion then focused on how to convince the Iraqis that the
troops were benign and the fact that (from Humphries) "if they continue
to defend their homeland the British and Americans have got a serious
problem..." (note who's got the problem!)

Surely it's racist to assume that some kinds of people (ie. who are
different from 'us') will be happy with 'our' troops on their streets
and round their homes in order to help them (ie. 'help sort things out
for them')?

Cathy

*To listen (until overwritten by tomorrow's programme) go to http://www.
bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listen/listen.shtml
(click on Listen and go to Part 6, 8.30-9.00am - discussion starts at
about 8.50am)

In message <3E7D8580.4521.437057@localhost>, Mark Parkinson
<mark44@myrealbox.com> writes
>Another racist aspect is that very little notice is taken of people
>who are 'displaced' - driven from their homes.
>
>> Hardly anyone in Britain is facing up to the racism rampant in this
>> war.
>
>Mark Parkinson
>Bodmin
>Cornwall