From: Rania Masri
To: casi-discuss
Sent: 24/03/2003 16:23
Subject: [casi] a request

Dear friends,

Yesterday morning, I had the (misfortune) of being cornered for an hour
with
a pro-war columnist in the local, main newspaper in Raleigh/Durham
(North
Carolina).  He kept presenting the war in a black and white fashion:
either
you support the "liberation" of Iraq from Saddam Hussein and thus
support
this war, or you are callous towards the suffering of the Iraqis under
the
dictatorship and you oppose the war.  All efforts I made to explain to
him
that this was *not* a war of "liberation" fell on deaf ears.  He was
only
interested in: how would you work to "get ride of him".  So, I told him
first to lift the tools of oppression imposed by the US on the people of
Iraq (i.e. the sanctions, the constant bombardment), and then work to
empower the people themselves by using life-affirming policies and not
life-destroying policies.  He regarded this all as little more than
hogwash.
When I told him that there have been numerous grassroots uprising
against
dictatorships, he said, basically, 'bull.'

I would love your advice.  What information should I send his way? (His
article will run Wednesday, so if any information will be sent, it needs
be sent today or early tomorrow).

Emotionally exhausted,

-Rania

We who believe in freedom cannot rest until it comes.

- Ella Baker

----
----

Raņia Masri, Ph.D.

Director, Southern Peace Research and Education Center

Institute for Southern Studies

http://www.southernstudies.org <http://www.southernstudies.org/>

2009 Chapel Hill Rd.

Durham, North Carolina  27707