From: casi-discuss-admin@lists.casi.org.uk
[mailto:casi-discuss-admin@lists.casi.org.uk] On Behalf Of pjw8
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 8:06 AM
To: casi-discuss; peter kiernan; pjw8
Subject: RE: [casi] oil for food program stopped

>Yes, this raises several important issues. First of all, Iraq
is effectively now under complete siege BY THE ORDER OF THE UN. If the
UN
Security Council did not vote for this war, then how is it that the UN
oil for
food program has been stopped?  Saying it is because UN officials
running the
program, had to leave Iraq, is a poor excuse.
In cases of an attack by an aggressor, there should be a back-up plan
to keep the income flowing into the country.  For example, the UN could
have turned the management of the oil for food program over to non-
governmental organizations.
And, as Peter Kiernan says, where does that leave the UN Escrow Account
after
the war?
The point is, the oil for food program needs to be reinstated as soon
as possible, and that falls under the mandate of the UN Security
Council.
Perhaps someone with contacts on the Security Council, or a media
reporter,
could follow up on this ASAP, Philippa Winkler

===== Original Message From peter kiernan <pvk66@starpower.net> =====
>There were some media reports last week that the US has a plan to
employ
>Iraqi soldiers in reconstruction work after the war, and pay their
salaries.
>Donald Rumsfeld stated that money to pay these salaries would come from
>Iraq's overseas frozen assets, and from the Oil for Food program
account. To
>my knowledge there is no facility in the now suspended program to pay
>salaries for civil servants or military personnel, and any change would
>require a SC resolution. No-one in the press picked up that the funds
for
>oil for food are kept in a UN controlled escrow account, and there
would be
>legality issues if the US or any-one else wanted to get access to it. I
>think this is something worth following.
>Peter Kiernan

Iraq
>and
>> with war appearing imminent, the UN "oil-for-food" program is
effectively
>on
>> hold. Earlier reports had indicated that no oil was leaving Iraq's
Persian
>> Gulf
>> port of Mina al-Bakr, and that buyers were shying away from purchases
of
>Iraqi
>> oil. As of 9 AM Thursday, there have been reports (on Kuwaiti and
Iranian
>> television) regarding possible oil fires near Basra in southern Iraq.
>Iraqi
>> Oil
>> Minister Rasheed has denied these reports. In statements made on
Thursday