Re: [casi] the "coalition" - more thoughts

At 09:32 19/03/03, Cathy Aitchison wrote:

>Having looked more closely at the State Department press briefing
>(extract below) - is there some way of getting more info from some of
>the listed countries, ie. what *exactly* they said/promised, in order to
>stop this myth of a 'solid 30 countries behind the US plans' getting too
>firmly entrenched in the media and so becoming fact?

Good idea, Cathy, however with the collusion of the media (and just wait
until the bombing actually starts - the Lib Dems position is indicative:
support our boys) they won't be asked for *proof* of their statements. We,
as usual, will be expected to state chapter and verse, and not given the
time to do so. That's not to say that it's not a good idea.

This is why (restating my suggestion from earlier which probably got lost
amongst the nonsense),  in order to stop them framing the debate, to insist
that they're referring to "governments" rather than *countries*. Most of
the planet seems to be against this war.

Having said that, we should, of course, be looking for something more solid
behind the scenes for when the opportunity arrives.

Rgds
Dermot

<snip>