Re: [casi] Thoughts About Huge Holes in "48 Hours or Else" speech

John,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I have some comments.

>True, as stated in "678 and 687 -- both still in
>effect -- the United States and our allies are
>authorized to use force in ridding Iraq of weapons
>of mass destruction. This is not a question of
>authority, it is a question of will."

>I have to apologize here for our president. He has
>been known to lack precision in the comprehension
>and use of words. What he is missing are the
>operative words "in ridding Iraq of weapons of mass
>destruction." Neither of the two resolutions says
>that the "United States and its allies are
>authorized to use force" in LOOKING FOR weapons of
>mass destruction in Iraq. They only authorize the
>use of force in RIDDING Iraq OF weapons of mass
>destruction.

I am afraid this is not true. Resolution 678 had
nothing to do with any WMDs or of ridding Iraq of
them. It did not even explicitly authorize the use of
force against Iraq to force it out of Kuwait. All
possible means was "interpreted" by the US and its
allies to mean the use of force, without following the
formal procedure for that action in accordance with
the Charter. That interpretation remains
questionable..

Even if we accept this twisted "interpretation" of
Resolution 678, then the authorization for the use of
force ended with Resolution 687 because the objective
of getting Iraq out of Kuwait was achieved. New
conditions were imposed on Iraq for lifting sanctions
forcing it to rid itself (and the whole Middle East)
of WMDs. This had nothing to do with Kuwait or with
Resolution 678. Thus, it seems to me incorrect to
state that Resolution 687 is still in effect (meaning
the use of force).
Let us not forget that the daily bombings and the
no-fly zones are violations of the Charter and the US
and UK are "in material breach".. Their actions even
violate Resolution 688 on which they and their puppets
and apologists base the establishment of the no-fly
zones. That resolution was NOT based on Chapter VII of
the Charter and thus the automatic use of force is not
included in it..

But the US and UK have acted as they wished, with a
weak and immoral world watching. When it suits them,
they refer to the Charter of the UN. When it doesn't
suit them, they go their way.

Washing one's hands of the conflict between the
powerful and the powerless means to side with the
powerful, not to be neutral.
-Paulo Freire, educator
(1921-1997)

HZ