Re: [casi] US ambassador quote on 1441

Dear Dermot

A superb resource for this and the legal issues generally is CND's
legal opinion at http://www.cnduk.org/briefing/opinion.htm pages 4-7,
including Negroponte's statement that 'As we have said on numberous
occasions to Council members, this Resolution contains no "hidden
triggers" and no "automaticity" with respect to the use of force' He
also says that they will go back to the UNSC, but if it fails to act,
1441 would not contrain any member state from defending itself or
acting to enforce UN resolutions.

Similar statement from Greenstock there also.

Eric

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:58:03 +0000 Dermot Moynihan
<dermoyn@onetel.net.uk> wrote:

> Anybody got  that quote from the American ambassador (Ch4 news last night)
> made at the time of the creation of Resolution 1441?
>
> Something to do with - paraphrasing: this resolution does not confer
> automatication (or something similar).
>
> Thanks in advance
> Dermot

----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics
University of Bristol
10 Priory Road
Bristol BS8 1TU
England, UK
Office tel. +44-(0)117-928-8582
Mobile tel. +44-(0)7771-966608
Fax +44-(0)117-973-2133
eric.herring@bristol.ac.uk
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Politics
http://www.ericherring.com/

Network of Activist Scholars
of Politics and International Relations (NASPIR)