Re: [casi] Fwd: [bham_network] FWD: US to use land mines in Iraq

--- Bert Gedin <gedinbert@hotmail.com> wrote:

> To All at CASI,
>
> Please do read this. - "Morality"? NOT IN OUR
> NAME!!!
It's quite an old item - I believe some effort has
been made recently by a number of governments to
persuade the US not to use anti-personnel mines in
Iraq and it looks like they won't.
(Although I'm not sure where I found this out so can't
give a source)

While on the subject, the number of deaths that this
will cause directly isn't really the issue here as
modern anti-personnel mines used by the US do at least
have a timer so that they deactivate themselves after
a fairly short period (the only risk occuring the few
times that they don't deactivate properly). The issue
is that other governments without such technology will
be able to say that anti-personnel mines are
acceptable if the US use them in Iraq.

Alun Harford