[casi] Turkey

>From my experience in Turkey during November last when I was part of a team
monitoring the Turkish General election on behalf of the Kurdish National
Congress I was left in no doubt that any government only governs by
permission of the military.  The whole country is 'stitched up' by the
military. At Diyarbakir, the airport we flew in to, which is more military
than civilian, we saw a great deal of military hardware being flown in. All
the meetings we had with a wide variety of political and civil groups
confirmed the fact that the military control the nation. It is safe
therefore to assume that whatever the government decides with regard to
military passage for the US it will be the military who ultimately make the
definitive decision.
Stuart Hemsley