Re: [casi] Annan - A US Attack Outside the Council Would Violate the UN Charter

Russia has said that they would table a resolution
demanding an immediate end to hostilities. It would
be ironic if Blair joins Bush in the Iraq adventure
and he would have to veto this ``third´´ resolution.

Also, the inspectors would have to leave Iraq. The
U.S. can't just say to Blix to leave while he is
inspecting in Iraq. If I were Blix I would refuse
to withdraw the inspectors from Iraq. With the
inspectors present at sensitive military sites in
Iraq an attack could be prevented.

Saibal

> But what the United Nations prepared to DO about
it when the U.S. does
> launch
> an attack outside the council?
>
> The expectation from the Bush U.S. side is that
the UN/member states will
> complain, but eventually they will follow behind
and see what scraps they
> can
> pick up for themselves.
>
> Just as the U.S. is threatening to punish nations
that don't support it,
> there should be some measured response to U.S.
violations.

> The United Nations has "allowed" the U.S. to use
its veto with regards to
> Israel whenever possible, and now more nations
can't muster up a NO to this
> Iraq issue because of fear of offending the U.S.?

discuss
admin@lists.casi.org.uk