Re: [casi] ... And why I will not

Hi,
Although the call for liberation by Iraqi people is understandable, it
should not be a call to which the world should react blindly.

For example, in 1956 the Russians invaded Hungary and many Hungarian people
called out to the West for help. Many Hungarian dissidents held a plea for
US-intervention. But I can't help to think the fact the US didn't intervene
saved the world from a much bigger catastrophe. The consequence of an
intervention would probably have been dreadful.

The same problem comes up in the case of Iraq. Although it would be a major
good thing to see Saddam and his torturing maniacs go, to start a war to
achieve this could very possibly lead to even more mischief for the Iraqi
people, other countries in the region and, because an whole new brand of
war, the pre-emptive one, would be introduced in international law, it could
turn out disastrous for the stability all around the world. All these are at
least arguments to take in account when deciding if a war is the way to free
the Iraqi people.

Although the Iraqi people got the undeniable right to live in peace and
security, the achievement of this can never go to the expense of the freedom
and security of many other people around the world, nor to the expense of
international law.

Ending of sanctions, support to the opposition, the indictment of the
current Iraqi leaders, most of which nowadays can still travel freely, etc.
can be powerful tools in ousting Saddam Hussein from office. They will
probably take some while longer to take effect but their consequences are
much more controllable and less devastating on the rest of the world.

Sander Faas