Re: [casi] Hambastegi English 147: People of Iraq don't want war, open l et ter to Tony Blair, Long Live March 8: Public meeting - Women agai nst Wa r, More Executions in Iran

Chris Williams wrote:

> Foreign invasion has ended oppression some
times: .....NATO's invasion of Kosova in 1999
stopped the racist deportation
> of Albanians by Serbs and instituted a racist
deportation of Serbs and
>Gypsies by Albanians

But let's not forget that the Nato bombing caused
the Serbs to take revenge and deport the Albanians
in the first place.

In the case of the situation in Iraq, I would say
that imposing sanctions against Iraq combined with
the U.S. policy of the removal of Saddam from
power, provokes Saddam to use more repression to
get rid of his internal enemies. Every time someone
in Iraq is imprisoned/executed we can't just blame
Saddam. We are guilty too.

In the 1980s the Soviet government did not help
Ortega to fight the Contras, because they knew that
the U.S. reaction would be to give even more
support to the Contras, resulting in more
bloodshed. Not a bad policy for an ``Evil Empire´´.
The U.S. doctrine in such situation seems to be to
escalate the situation as much as possible and then
blame the enemy for all the negative consequences.

Saibal