[casi] Hambastegi English 147: People of Iraq don't want war, open l et ter to TonyBlair, Long Live March 8: Public meeting - Women agai nst Wa r, MoreExecutions in Iran

Dear list,

I get bemused when certain Iraqis say that 'all Iraqi exiles support the
war'. This clearly is not the case, as the message below illustrates, and
leads me to suspect their credibilty on other issues. Just like British or
Americans, Iraqis are divided on this issue. This is an issue of politics,
not of nationality.

Where was the foreign invasion that toppled Caucescu? Honnecker (the GDR was
a far more efficient police state than Iraq is)? Where was the war that
toppled Stalinism? Marcos? The National Party in South Africa? Somoza?
Batista? It was the people of these countries who revolutionised and
democratised themselves, often with aid from solidarity movements in other
countries.

Foreign invasion has ended oppression some times: the Vietnamese invasion of
Cambodia springs to mind. Other times, though, its impact has been mixed.
For the people of the German east, the 'liberation' of 1945 was a very mixed
blessing. NATO's invasion of Kosova in 1999 stopped the racist deportation
of Albanians by Serbs and instituted a racist deportation of Serbs and
Gypsies by Albanians

Now is the time to redouble our efforts to offer practical solidarity with
progressive opposition movements in Iraq, or we will see them (like in
Kosova) taken over by nationalists and the CIA.

Down with the fascist dictatorship of Saddam!
Long live the Iraqi people!

Chris Williams