Re: [casi] UK Cabinet Minister to resign

She spoke out on The Westminster Hour on BBC Radio 4 on Sunday evening

see URL for full story.

Short may resign over Iraq crisis

Clare Short has told BBC News she will resign from the government if
Britain goes to war against Iraq without United Nations backing.
The international development secretary told BBC Radio 4's Westminster
Hour she could not "stay and defend the indefensible".

"If there is not UN authority for military action or the reconstruction
of the country, I will not uphold a breach of international law or this
undermining of the UN," she told the programme.

"I will resign from the government," said Ms Short, who described Tony
Blair's actions as "reckless".

Downing Street expressed surprise at Ms Short's comments, with a
spokesman insisting she had not expressed such views before to the prime
minister.

In message <20030310021256.92127.qmail@mail.com>, Anai Rhoads
<anairhoads@myself.com> writes
>Dear Chris & List,
>
>I'm not very surprised by Short's response to the war debate. She almost
>stepped
>down during the Gulf war if you recall.
>
>She considered that war as a form of terrorism and ineffective when it came to
>protecting Kuwait, as it only served to destroy Iraq. She quit her front bench
>position in a show of protest against what she considered an "over-bombing".
>
>Chris, which paper did you read about her stepping down?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Anai
>
>- - - -
>http://www.thePetitionSite.com/takeaction/411151486
>

>[casi] UK Cabinet Minister to resign
>

>     From: Tcapj@DELETETHISaol.com
>     Subject: [casi] UK Cabinet Minister to resign
>     Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 18:11:03 EST
>

>[ Presenting plain-text part of multi-format email ]
>

>Clare Short, a member of Blair's cabinet has stated caetgorically that she
>will resign if Blair goes to war with Iraq without UN resolution. She was
>very critical of Blair. Hopefully this is the start. Many members of Blair's
>party are very unhappy.
>
>Chris
>

>--

Cathy Aitchison