Re: [casi] ... And why I will not

In message <OE45G6wIi7UILyOIdyU00007e6e@hotmail.com>, Sama Hadad
<bintilhuda@lycos.com> writes

>[ Presenting plain-text part of multi-format email ]
>
>http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,3604,895397,00.html
>
>... And why I will not
>
>Dr B Khalaf
>Friday February 14, 2003
>The Guardian
>
>I write this to protest against all those people who oppose the war against
>Saddam Hussein, or as they call it, the "war against Iraq". I am an Iraqi
>doctor, I worked in the Iraqi army for six years during Iraq-Iran war and
>four months during Gulf war. All my family still live in Iraq. I am an Arab
>Sunni, not Kurdish or Shia. I am an ordinary Iraqi not involved with the
>Iraqi opposition outside Iraq.
>
>I am so frustrated by the appalling views of most of the British people,
>media and politicians. I want to say to all these people who are against the
>possible war, that if you think by doing so you are serving the interests of
>Iraqi people or saving them, you are not. You are effectively saving Saddam.
>You are depriving the Iraqi people of probably their last real chance get
>rid of him and to get out of this dark era in their history.

I remember reading the story quoted above just before the march and
being concerned, Sama.

However - and please don't take this the wrong way - as one commentator
said just recently 'Iraq is almost irrelevant' in motivating people's
anti-war feelings.  What people are concerned about is that their
governments are obediently following Bush, whether in genuine faith
(like Tony Blair) or under duress for fear of the consequences, into a
war which will destabilise the whole world.  This is not just about
Iraq, it's about the future of the world order.  Do we want a world in
which the government of the biggest and most powerful country can do
whatever it wants?  Do we want a world in which citizens are encouraged
to take responsibility for their own lives in every aspect except in
putting a brake on the actions of their elected leaders?

Yes, those of us who are against this war need to think more about what
we can do to help the people of Iraq - and all other peoples suffering
under dictatorships and corrupt regimes.  I confess, I don't do enough -
and, when I do, my suggestions are often naive (as listers may know).
But war won't help - just ask the people of Afghanistan.  And as the
most powerful governments seem incapable of finding imaginative, non-
combative solutions, perhaps it's time for ordinary naive mortals to
suggest some for them.

--
Cathy Aitchison