[casi] Harry Belafonte Says US Leaders 'Possessed of Evil'

Harry Belafonte Says US Leaders 'Possessed of Evil'
Tue Mar 4,11:14 AM ET

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Singer Harry Belafonte, long outspoken on civil rights
and political issues in the United States, has lashed out at the Bush
administration saying it is "possessed of evil" for preparing war against
Iraq (news - web sites).

The 76-year-old U.S. singer told Finnish television on Tuesday that global
leaders who ignored demonstrations against a war in Iraq did so at their own
peril.

Asked if he thought leaders of his own country were misguided, Belafonte,
said: "Absolutely. I not only think that they are misguided, but I think
they know exactly what they are doing and I think that they are men who are
possessed of evil."

Belafonte, who popularized calypso music in the 1950s with hits like "Banana
Boat (Day-O)" and "Jamaica Farewell," hit the headlines in October for
likening Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) to a plantation
slave for selling out on Iraq.

"I don't think that (U.S. President) George Bush...is a man of honor," added
Belafonte, a black man of Jamaican descent like Powell.

"I think he has a very selfish, arrogant point of view. I think he is
interested in power, I think he believes his truth is the only truth, and
that he will do what he wants to do despite the people," he said during a
break on his Finnish tour.

http://al-moharer.freeservers.com/