Re: [casi] Turkey Parliament Rejects U.S. Troops

Dear Dermot, Suzy and group

The majority party in the Turkish parliament - the Justice and Development
Party - is a new force in Turkish politics. Some 90% of their
representatives in Parliament are new MPs. I have read somewhere but can't
put my hand on the source that there is a substantial Kurdish membership.
For the moment they are an unknown quantity and it remains to be seen if
they will continue the policy of mistreatment of the Kurds. This recent vote
speaks very much in their favour.

One of the reasons given for SUPPORTING the US deployment was that it would
help prevent the emergence of a Kurdish state. In voting against the US
deployment they have renounced the very big financial rewards they were
being offered and run a real risk that US policy will now favour the Kurds
(and punish Turkey by other means as they did Yemen, whose vote against the
1991 war was much less crucial than this Turkish vote). The indications are
that the party leader, Recep Erdogan, though he recommended supporting the
US, is not unhappy with the result. I can't see any motive for this other
than the moral one. I think that at the moment the Turks, whatever other
governments or the military might have done, deserve to be praised to the
skies and it would be a wonderful thing if this facilitated their entry into
the EEC.

All the best

Peter